"It was a fairy, and come from Elf-land, it said; and its errand was to make me happy:
‘它是个小精灵,从精灵仙境来的,它说。它的差使是使我幸福,
I must go with it out of the common world to a lonely place -- such as the moon, for instance
我必须同它一起离开凡间,到一个人迹罕至的地方--譬如月亮上
and it nodded its head towards her horn, rising over Hay-hill:
它朝干草山上升起的月牙儿点了点头。
it told me of the alabaster cave and silver vale where we might live.
它告诉我,我们可以住在石膏山洞和银色的溪谷里。
I said I should like to go; but reminded it, as you did me, that I had no wings to fly.
我说我想去,但我就像你刚才提醒那样,提醒它我没有翅膀,不会飞。’”
"'Oh,' returned the fairy, 'that does not signify! Here is a talisman will remove all difficulties;'
“‘呵,’那精灵回答说,‘这没有关系!这里有个护身符,可以排除—切障碍。’
and she held out a pretty gold ring.
她递过来一个漂亮的金戒指。
'Put it,' she said, 'on the fourth finger of my left hand, and I am yours, and you are mine;
‘戴上它吧,戴在我左手第四个手指上,我就属于你,你就属于我了。
and we shall leave earth, and make our own heaven yonder.'
我们将离开地球,到那边建立自己的天地。’
She nodded again at the moon. The ring, Adèle, is in my breeches-pocket, under the disguise of a sovereign:
她再次朝月亮点了点头。阿黛勒,这个戒指就在我裤子袋袋里,化作了一金镑硬币,
but I mean soon to change it to a ring again."
不过我要它很快又变成戒指。”
"But what has mademoiselle to do with it?
“可是那与小姐有什么关系呢?
I don't care for the fairy: you said it was mademoiselle you would take to the moon?"
我才不在乎精灵呢,你不是说过你要带到月亮去的是小姐吗?”