So we built Ashioto, meaning "footstep" in Japanese,
所以我们构建了“Ashioto”系统,在日语中意思是“脚步声”,
as it consists of a portable mat which has pressure sensors which can count the number of people walking on it,
这种垫子便携而且自带压力传感器,可以计算出行走的人群数量,
and sends the data over the internet to the advanced data analysis software we created.
还能把数据通过互联网传递给我们构建的数据分析软件。
The possible errors, like overcounting or double-stepping, were overcome using design interventions.
可能存在的诸如过度计算或重复计算脚步的误差,也通过干预措施被消除了。
The optimum breadth of the mat was determined to be 18 inches,
垫子的最佳宽度被设计为18英寸,
after we tested many different versions and observed the average stride length of a person.
这是在测试了许多不同版本,以及计算人们步伐的平均跨度之后。
Otherwise, people might step over the sensor.
不然人们可能会跨过传感器。
We started with a proof of concept built in three days, made out of cardboard and aluminum foil. It worked, for real.
然后我们开始对花费了三天时间,用纸板和铝箔制做的传感器进行概念测试。方法奏效了,真的。
We built another one with aluminum composite panels and piezoelectric plates,
我们用铝复合板和压电版做了另外一块,
which are plates that generate a small pulse of electricity under pressure.
可以在压力下产生小电流脉冲。
We tested this at 30 different pilots in public, in crowded restaurants, in malls, in temples, etc., to see how people reacted.
我们在30多个不同的公众场合测试了这个装置,在拥挤的餐厅,商场和寺庙等等,来了解人们的表现。
And people let us run these pilots because they were excited to see localites work on problems for the city.
人们同意我们进行这些测试,因为他们非常乐于看到有当地人在解决城市问题。
I was 15 and my team members were in their early 20s.
我当时15岁,团队的平均年龄也就是20出头。
When the sensors were colored, people would get scared and would ask us questions like, "Will I get electrocuted if I step on this?"
但给传感器上色后,人们开始觉得害怕,并问我们诸如此类的问题,“走在上面,会不会被电到?”
Or, if it was very obvious that it was an electronic sensor on the ground, they would just jump over it.
或者,如果在路上遇到很明显是电子传感板的东西,他们可能会跳过去。