So we don't have people on Mars right now, but we do have rovers.
我们现在并没有人类生活在火星,但是我们有漫游者探测器。
And actually right now, on Curiosity, it is 6:10 in the morning.
现在,好奇号漫游者的时间是早上6点10分。
So, 6:10 in the morning on Mars. We have four rovers on Mars.
也就是说火星时间是早上6点10分。我们有四个漫游者在火星。
The United States has put four rovers on Mars since the mid-1990s,
自90年代中期,美国就发送了四个漫游者到火星上,
and I have been privileged enough to work on three of them.
而且我有幸和其中三个漫游者一起工作过。
So, I am a spacecraft engineer, a spacecraft operations engineer, at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Los Angeles, California.
所以,我是一名航天器工程师,准确说是操纵航天器的工程师,工作于加州洛杉矶的美国宇航局推进技术实验室。
And these rovers are our robotic emissaries.
而这些漫游者是我们的机器使者。
So, they are our eyes and our ears, and they see the planet for us until we can send people.
所以,他们就是我们的眼睛和耳朵。他们能为我们观察火星,直到我们有能力把人送到那里。
So we learn how to operate on other planets through these rovers.
所以,我们可以通过这些漫游者来了解在其他星球的环境状况。
So before we send people, we send robots.
所以,在我们把宇航员送到那里之前,我们先派了一批机器人去。