This second study with beef steers will be looking into the overall health of the animal.
第二项研究将着眼于参与实验的肉用阉牛的整体健康状况。
These animals will be eating seaweed for approximately 200 days.
这些动物将食用大约200天海藻。
We'll be able to capture that, if there's any long term benefits to feeding seaweed.
喂海藻到底有没有长远的好处,
If it increases any weight gain, we'll be able to see that as well.
是否有助于增重,都能够一试便知。
And another big question on everyone’s mind: we will have taste panels.
大家都在想的另一个大问题是:我们会设置一些品尝小组。
They will tell us if they can pick up differences in meat quality from steers that have been fed seaweed and those that were not fed seaweed.
他们会告诉我们,他们是否能辨别出吃过海藻和没吃过海藻的阉牛在肉质(口感)上的不同。
So while they're trying to understand how Asparagopsis will affect cow health and wellbeing,
也就是说,他们研究的是天冬酰胺是如何影响奶牛的健康和快乐的,
we're trying to understand how to influence Asparagopsis' health and wellbeing.
我们研究的则是如何影响天冬酰胺的健康和快乐。
Dr. Jennifer Smith is a marine biologist at UC San Diego Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
詹妮弗·史密斯博士是加州大学圣地亚哥斯克里普斯海洋研究所的一名海洋生物学家。
She’s working with the UC Davis team to see how we can cultivate seaweed responsibly,
她和加州大学戴维斯分校的团队正在合力研究如何环保地培育海藻,
so this potential solution doesn’t become a whole new problem.
从而避免让这个潜在的解决方案演变成一个全新的问题。
Asparagopsis taxiformis is incredibly beautiful red seaweed.
天冬酰胺是一种无比漂亮的红色海藻。
It produces a lot of really unique chemical compounds,
能产生很多种独特的化合物,
and some of these chemical compounds have been found to be really valuable.
而且,人们发现,其中一些化合物是非常有价值的。
Just because we find that it could, potentially, mitigate methane production in cows
然而,发现它有可能能减少牛群排放的甲烷量
doesn't mean that tomorrow we're ready to mass produce Asparagopsis.
并不代表马上就能进行大规模的生产。
I knew, given the complexity of this seaweed's life cycle, that it was gonna take a bit of research.
我知道,考虑到这种海藻生命周期的复杂性,我们需要进一步的研究。
When you look at Asparagopsis growing in the wild,
观察生长在野外的天冬酰胺,
you often see these large, pink, feathery, iridescent, beautiful plants,
你经常会看到这种很大,呈粉红色,不同位置颜色还不一样的羽毛状天冬酰胺,很是漂亮,
and that is one of the stages of Asparagopsis that eventually grow into another phase,
但这只是天冬酰胺成长的一个阶段,最终则会变成另一种模样,
and that phase looks a little bit like a pink cotton ball.
这个阶段看起来有点像一个粉色的棉球。
It's a filamentous, very delicate phase.
这个时候它是呈细丝状的,这也是一个非常微妙的阶段。
To date, nobody has really completed the life cycle of Asparagopsis in cultivation.
迄今为止,还没有人真正完成栽培天冬酰胺的整个生命周期。
In my laboratory at Scripps,
在我斯克里普斯的那个实验室里,
we're manipulating things like light, temperature, and nutrient concentrations
我们会控制光、温度和营养浓度等因素
to explore growth rates and chemical composition of the tissue.
来研究组织的生长速度和化学成分。
If you can alter light or temperature and you can get a doubling of growth,
如果你能改变光或温度,天冬酰胺的生长速度就会加快一倍,
that's going to be really important for thinking about scaling up cultivation.
这点对于考虑扩大种植是非常重要的。
Like the UC Davis team, this research project is at very early stages.
和加州大学戴维斯分校的团队一样,这个研究项目也还处于非常早期的阶段。
There's so much to be done, and it's such an exciting time.
要做的事情还有很多很多,但现在真的是无比激动人心的一个时刻。
Ultimately, what we need to know is how fast can we grow Asparagopsis,
说到底,我们要了解的是,天冬酰胺的生长速度,
how much space do we need, how much resources do we need,
需要多大的培养空间,需要多少资源,
how can we scale this to make it viable as a supplement on a global scale.
以及如何扩大它的规模,使其成为世界各地都能用到的一种营养补充剂等问题。
We don't want to have a cultivation facility that requires a ton of electricity and power in order to grow the seaweed,
我们想要的并不是一个需要大量电力才能种植这种海藻的一个养殖设施,
because we're trying to, ultimately, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reduce our carbon footprint.
因为我们正在努力彻底减少温室气体的排放和我们的碳足迹。
There's hope that if this proves out,
如果这种办法能够奏效,
all cows around the world could have this supplement added to their diets.
那我们就有希望在全世界的牛群的日常饮食中添加这种补充剂。
It'd be a small tweak with big ramifications.
这一举措将取得四两拨千斤的效果。
I think every sector, including the animal agriculture sector, needs to find ways to reduce their overall greenhouse gas emissions.
我认为每个部门,包括畜牧业部门,都应该寻找减少他们带来的温室气体排放的办法。
We have to be working towards a more sustainable system.
我们必须致力于建立一个更可持续的生态体系。
It could be complementary to other things that would help in reducing emissions.
这种办法或许能够和其他有助于减少排放的办法相辅相成。
And so if feeding seaweed at a cost effective way that doesn't negatively affect these animals,
所以,如果以一种既经济有效,又不会对这些动物产生负面影响的方式来给它们喂海藻的话,
I think it's a viable way for us to actually meet those standards.
我认为这种方式就是我们达到这些标准的可行方法之一。
For more science documentaries, check out this one right here.
想看更多科学纪录片,请点击这里。
Don't forget to subscribe and keep coming back to Seeker for more videos.
别忘了订阅我们的频道,继续回来收看我们的视频噢。