手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 科学探秘之旅 > 正文

吃货的未来 让电脑为你种植蔬菜(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

The average age of an apple in a U. S. grocery store

美国超市卖的苹果
from the day it was picked until the day it gets into your mouth is 11 months.
从采摘到被人食用,平均周期是11个月。
And this is usually shocking to people and it's because we've designed the system.
听到这点大家往往都会很震惊,因为这个周期系统就是我们自己设计的。
The last big push for agriculture was more cheap food.
农业领域出现的最后一次大力推动是为了让食品更廉价。
And we've optimized maybe not for the best goal:
但我们采取这一优化措施可能并不是为了最好的目标:
the goal of transport, the goal of cheapness, but not the goal of nutrition.
为了运输,为了便宜,就是不为营养。
The goal of environmental stewardship, which is now forefront in a consumer's mind,
不为环境管理,而这正是某位消费者最关注的问题。
that says, “Where did my food come from? How good is it for me?”
他问到:“我的食物来自何处?对我的好处有多大?”
And those questions require so much more information.
而回答这些问题还需要更多的信息。
This is Caleb Harper, a research scientist at MIT.
这位是麻省理工的研究科学家凯莱布·哈珀。
As the son of farmers who advised him to get out of the family business and into tech instead,
作为农民的后代,他的长辈曾经教育他要走出家族世世代代都从事的农业领域,投身科技,
Caleb decided to merge the two worlds.
但凯莱布决定将二者合并到一处。
We design things that we call food computers.
我们设计的这种东西叫“食物电脑”。
And the reason I call them that is because I want to engender that imagination, that curiosity.
之所以这么命名是因为我想激发他们的想象力和好奇心。
A food computer is essentially a box that controls and designs a climate.
食物电脑本质上是一个控制和调节气候的盒子。
If you think Star Trek or you think Willy Wonka, that's exactly what we're going for.
《星际迷航》或者《威利·旺卡》里的那种设计就是我们想要达到的效果。
It's a tabletop machine and technology platform that lets you program a climate for the crop you want.
它是一个台面机器兼技术平台,可以用它来为你想要种植的作物设定气候。
The build components and instructions are accessible and that’s exactly what Caleb and his team have in mind.
它的组件和指令都是可以访问的,这正是凯莱布及其团队的心思所在。
We're focused on open source technologies
我们重点关注的是开源技术,
because we believe that that next revolution in agriculture has to be based on open science.
因为我们相信,下一次农业革命一定是建立在开放科学之上的革命。
That was one of the big misses from technology in the last 30 years, was keeping it proprietary, keeping it closed.
过去30年里,农业在科技方面最大的失误之一就是保持科技的私有性和封闭性。
I have an IP strategy, which is to put everything in the public domain.
我的知识产权策略就是把所有技术都纳入公共资源范畴。
The Open Agriculture Initiative released their first prototype in 2015,
凯莱布所在的“开放农业倡议”小组2015年就公开了他们的第一个技术蓝本,
giving curious potential farmers a chance to experiment.
给了好奇的潜在农民们一个试验的机会。

3

We are here to talk about how I grow food in frozen wasteland...I use a food computer.

今天,我们要聊的是我是如何在一片冰封的荒原上种植各种食材的——我用了食物电脑。
I'll be explaining how my food computer functions.
下面我来给大家解释一下我的食物电脑的工作原理。
So as you can see there, four features that were currently collecting values for it.
可以看出,电脑上显示了四个特征值,正在帮我们采集里面的植物生长数据。
One of the biggest challenges we've met so far was actually the Lex fan...
到目前为止,我们遇到的最大的困难之一实际上切这个东西。
They’ve tweaked the design since, and released their newest version, the PFC.
那以后,他们对原有设计作了调整,还发布了最新版本的PFC(颗粒流程序)。
Basic tinkering skills not included.
他们的改进还不包括基本的修补技能。
The smallest one behind me is for, kind of, the maker, the student,
我身后最小的这种食物电脑是专门为那些想要在自己家里
the enthusiast, the home body, the hacker, the scientist
或自己的实验室里的创造者、学生、爱好者、
that wants to get involved in their own house or in their own labs.
家庭主体、黑客以及科学家而设计的。
The parts include circuit boards, sensors, lights, and cameras to monitor the plant.
里面的部件有电路板、传感器、灯和监控植物生长的摄像头。
The seed has so much embedded technology inside of it already.
那棵种子就已经包含了大量的嵌入式技术。
So when you take a certain set of genetics
所以,当你把一组特定的基因
and you put it inside of a certain phenome or climate,
置入特定的表型组或气候中时,
it will express something.
它就会表达一些性状。
That's called a phenotype.
也即所谓的一种“表现型”。
We want to understand under what conditions do those genetics express flavor, nutrition, size, color.
我们想知道这些基因在什么条件下才会表达味道,营养,大小和颜色。
And it has a lot more to do with its environment than its genetic predisposition.
而这点与环境的关系要比与遗传倾向的关系大得多。
So we design CO2, and temperature, and humidity, and light spectrum,
所以我们设计了二氧化碳,温度,湿度,光谱,
and light intensity, and minerality of the water, and oxygen of the water,
光强度,水的矿物质,水的氧气等因素,
then trying to make sense out of what happened.
然后试着去弄清楚究竟是什么情况。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
environment [in'vaiərənmənt]

想一想再看

n. 环境,外界

 
strategy ['strætidʒi]

想一想再看

n. 战略,策略

 
initiative [i'niʃətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创始的,初步的,自发的
n. 第一步

联想记忆
prototype ['prəutətaip]

想一想再看

n. 原型,雏形

 
humidity [hju:'miditi]

想一想再看

n. 湿度,湿气

 
platform ['plætfɔ:m]

想一想再看

n. 平台,站台,月台,讲台,(政党的)政纲

联想记忆
essentially [i'senʃəli]

想一想再看

adv. 本质上,本来

 
nutrition [nju:'triʃən]

想一想再看

n. 营养

 
genetic [dʒi'netik]

想一想再看

adj. 基因的,遗传的,起源的

联想记忆
genetics [dʒi'netiks]

想一想再看

n. 遗传学

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。