"One moment," said Holmes; "are you sure about this whistle and metallic sound? Could you swear to it?"
"等一等,"福尔摩斯说,"你敢十分肯定听到那口哨声和金属碰撞声了吗?你能保证吗?"
"That was what the county coroner asked me at the inquiry.
"本郡验尸官在调查时也正是这样问过我的。
It is my strong impression that I heard it,
我是听到的,它给我的印象非常深。
and yet, among the crash of the gale and the creaking of an old house, I may possibly have been deceived."
可是在猛烈的风暴声和老房子嘎嘎吱吱的一片响声中,我也有可能听错。"
"Was your sister dressed?" "No, she was in her night-dress.
"你姐姐还穿着白天的衣服吗?""没有,她穿着睡衣。
In her right hand was found the charred stump of a match, and in her left a match-box."
在她的右手中发现了一根烧焦了的火柴棍,左手里有个火柴盒。"
"Showing that she had struck a light and looked about her when the alarm took place.
"这说明在出事的时候,她划过火柴,并向周围看过。
That is important. And what conclusions did the coroner come to?"
这一点很重要。验尸官得出了什么结论?"
"He investigated the case with great care, for Dr. Roylott's conduct had long been notorious in the county,
"他非常认真地调查了这个案子,因为罗伊洛特医生的品行在郡里早已臭名昭著,
but he was unable to find any satisfactory cause of death.
但是他找不出任何能说服人的致死原因。
My evidence showed that the door had been fastened upon the inner side,
我证明,房门总是由室内的门锁锁住的,
and the windows were blocked by old-fashioned shutters with broad iron bars, which were secured every night.
窗子也是由带有宽铁杠的老式百叶窗护挡着,每天晚上都关得严严的。
The walls were carefully sounded, and were shown to be quite solid all round,
墙壁仔细地敲过,发现四面都很坚固,
and the flooring was also thoroughly examined, with the same result.
地板也经过了彻底检查,结果也是一样。
The chimney is wide, but is barred up by four large staples.
烟囱倒是很宽阔,但也是用了四个大锁环闩上的。
It is certain, therefore, that my sister was quite alone when she met her end.
因此,可以肯定我姐姐在遭到不幸的时候,只有她一个人在房间里。
Besides, there were no marks of any violence upon her."
再说,她身上没有任何暴力的痕迹。"