It was. Half heaven was pure and stainless: the clouds, now trooping before the wind, which had shifted to the west,
确实如此。半个天空都明净如水。此刻,风已改由西面吹来,轻云在风前疾驰,
were filing off eastward in long, silvered columns. The moon shone peacefully.
朝东排列成长长的银色园柱,月亮洒下了宁静的光辉。
"Well," said Mr. Rochester, gazing inquiringly into my eyes, "how is my Janet now?"
“好吧,”罗切斯特先生说,一边带着探询的目光窥视我。“这会儿我的珍妮特怎么样了?”
"The night is serene, sir; and so am I."
“夜晚非常平静,先生,我也一样。”
"And you will not dream of separation and sorrow to-night; but of happy love and blissful union."
“明天除了欢乐的爱和幸福的结合,你再也不会梦见分离和悲伤了。”
This prediction was but half fulfilled: I did not indeed dream of sorrow, but as little did I dream of joy;
这一预见只实现了一半。我的确没有梦见忧伤,但也没有梦见欢乐。
for I never slept at all. With little Adèle in my arms, I watched the slumber of childhood
因为我根本就没有睡着。我搂着阿黛勒,瞧着孩子沉沉睡去
so tranquil, so passionless, so innocent -- and waited for the coming day:
那么平静,那么安宁,那么天真--等待着来日,
all my life was awake and astir in my frame: and as soon as the sun rose I rose too.
我的整个生命苏醒了,在我躯体内躁动着,太阳一出,我便起来了。
I remember Adèle clung to me as I left her:
我记得离开阿黛勒时她紧紧搂住我,
I remember I kissed her as I loosened her little hands from my neck;
我记得把她的小手从我脖子上松开的时候,我吻了吻她。
and I cried over her with strange emotion, and quitted her because I feared my sobs would break her still sound repose.
我怀着一种莫名的情感对着她哭了起来,赶紧离开了她,生怕哭泣声会惊动她的酣睡。
She seemed the emblem of my past life;
她似乎就是我往昔生活的标志,
and he I was now to array myself to meet, the dread, but adored, type of my unknown future day.
而他,我此刻梳装打扮前去会面的,他是既可怕而又亲切、却一无所知的未来的标志。