I set the record for the lowest limbo of 8.5 inches in 2010. I'm very proud of that.
我在2010年创下了8.5英寸(21.59cm)的最低过杆纪录。这个成绩我还是很自豪的。
My name is Shemika Campbell, and I am a world class limbo dancer.
我叫谢米卡·坎贝尔,是世界一流的过杆舞者。
I'm originally from Trinidad and Tobago, which is also where limbo dance originated.
我来自特立尼达和多巴哥,那里也是过杆舞的发源地。
It was a dance at wakes that symbolized entering from one life to another.
这是守灵时跳的一种舞,象征着逝者从一种生命形态走向了另一种生命形态。
Now today, it's literally everywhere.
毫不夸张地说,如今,这种舞几乎已经随处可见了。
I got into the art of limbo at the age of 14.
我14岁就开始接触这种艺术了。
My grandmother was a limbo dancer,
我外祖母是跳过杆舞的,
my mother was a limbo dancer
我妈妈也是跳过杆舞的,
and it's only right that I'm a limbo dancer.
所以我也得跳过杆舞才对。
I had to carry on that legacy, not only for my family, but also for my culture, as well.
我有义务把这个传统发扬光大,不止是为我们家族,也为我的文化。
Physically, I am very flexible.
我的身体非常灵活。
I do my daily stretches.
我每天都要做拉伸运动。
I can't really feel normal stretches, so I have to like create my own, to where I really feel the stretch in my legs.
普通的拉伸我已经没什么感觉了,我必须创造出适合我自己,能够真正让我有感觉的拉伸方法。
I get a little crazy sometimes, for sure.
有时候确实是有点疯狂啦。
Ladies and gentlemen, the limbo queen, Shemika Campbell.
女士们,先生们,欢迎我们的过杆舞女王谢米卡·坎贝尔。
In order to make it under 8.5 inches,
为了顺利通过只有8.5英寸的杆,
I have to hold my breath in order to contort my body to make it under the bar.
我必须屏住呼吸,将身体缩起来才能从杆下通过。
At the same time I have to think about my arms, I have to think about my positioning.
同时还要考虑我的手臂,还有姿势。
I move side to side just to show that I'm still suspended.
还要左右移动,显示我的身体还是悬空的,没有贴在地上。
I start to move actually physically under the bar
正式开始过杆。
and that's pretty much when I'm able to let the air out.
这个时候我差不多就可以吐气了。
And that's when I will get up.
这个时候就可以站起来了。
It's very very very hard to do.
做起来是非常非常困难的。
The pain that I feel during practicing and pushing myself that comes with it,
练习和自我鞭策过程中感受到的痛苦,
well, that's one of the things that really drew me to limbo.
恰好也是驱使我走上这条路的因素之一。
It was something that I couldn't do easily.
因为不是轻轻松松就能做到的事情。
I love the challenge.
我又是很喜欢挑战的一个人。
To me, making it under this bar perfectly every time, it means the absolute world.
对我来说,每次都能完美地从杆下通过就是一切。
I pretty much limbo any and everywhere.
我基本上走到哪儿就会跳到哪儿。
I've been on “America's Got Talent” twice.
我上过两次《美国达人秀》。
I've been on “The Ellen Degeneres show.”
上过《艾伦秀》,
I've been on “The Late Late Show with James Corden.”
也上过《柯登深夜秀》。
When I see peoples' reactions and how appreciative they are of my ability to do this is just amazing.
看到大家的反应,以及他们对我的能力的充分认可,我特别特别开心。
Alright. Put it there, put it there. I really do appreciate you representing the city.
行了。放那里就行,放那儿就行。真的很感谢你能代表这座城市参赛。
I absolutely love limbo. I love everything about it.
我真的超爱过杆舞,我爱它的一切。
People think that limbo is just for fun.
人们觉得过杆舞只是为了好玩儿。
For Trinidadians like myself, it's really a big part of our culture.
但对我这样的特立尼达人来说,它是我们文化中的一个重要组成部分。
I feel like that's where my job comes in, to really show you this is more than just a fun little activity.
我觉得这就是我的使命,我的存在就是为了向大家展示它不仅仅是一个有趣的小活动。