I heard him go as I stood at the half-open door of my own room, to which I had now withdrawn.
我听见他走了,这时我已回到自己的房间里,正站在半掩着的门旁边。
The house cleared, I shut myself in, fastened the bolt that none might intrude, and proceeded
人去楼空,我把自己关进房间,拴上门,免得别人闯进来,然后开始,
not to weep, not to mourn, I was yet too calm for that,
不是哭泣,不是悲伤,我很镇静,不会这样,
but -- mechanically to take off the wedding dress
而是--机械地脱下婚礼服,
and replace it by the stuff gown I had worn yesterday, as I thought, for the last time.
换上昨天我要最后一次穿戴的呢袍。
I then sat down: I felt weak and tired.
随后我坐了下来,感到浑身疲软。
I leaned my arms on a table, and my head dropped on them.
我用胳膊支着桌子,将头靠在手上。
And now I thought: till now I had only heard, seen, moved -- followed up and down where I was led or dragged
现在我开始思考了。在此之前,我只是听,只是看,只是动--由别人领着或拖着,跟上跟下,
watched event rush on event, disclosure open beyond disclosure: but now, I thought.
观看事情一件件发生,秘密一桩桩揭开。而现在,我开始思考了。
The morning had been a quiet morning enough -- all except the brief scene with the lunatic:
早上是够平静的--除了与疯子交手的短暂场面,一切都平平静静。
the transaction in the church had not been noisy;
教堂里的一幕也并没有高声大气,
there was no explosion of passion, no loud altercation, no dispute, no defiance or challenge, no tears, no sobs:
没有暴怒,没有大声吵闹,没有争辩,没有对抗或挑衅,没有眼泪,没有哭泣。
a few words had been spoken, a calmly pronounced objection to the marriage made;
几句话一说,平静地宣布对婚姻提出异议,
some stern, short questions put by Mr. Rochester; answers, explanations given, evidence adduced;
罗切斯特先生问了几个严厉而简短的问题,对方作了回答和解释,援引了证据,
an open admission of the truth had been uttered by my master;
我主人公开承认了事实,
then the living proof had been seen; the intruders were gone, and all was over.
随后看了活的证据。闯入者走了,一切都过去了。