"And take Adèle with you, sir," I interrupted; "she will be a companion for you."
“带着阿黛勒走吧,先生,”我插嘴说,“你也有她可以作伴了。”
"What do you mean, Jane? I told you I would send Adèle to school;
“你这是什么意思,简?我已告诉了你,我要送阿黛勒上学,
and what do I want with a child for a companion, and not my own child, a French dancer's bastard?
我何必要一个孩子作伴?何况又不是我的孩子--一个法国舞女的的杂种。
Why do you importune me about her! I say, why do you assign Adèle to me for a companion?"
你干嘛把我跟她缠在一起?我说,你为什么把阿黛勒派给我作伴?”
"You spoke of a retirement, sir; and retirement and solitude are dull: too dull for you."
“你谈起了隐退,先生,而隐退和独处是乏味的,对你来说太乏味了。”
"Solitude! solitude!" he reiterated with irritation.
“独处!独处!”他焦躁地重复了一遍。
"I see I must come to an explanation.
“我看我得作个解释。
I don't know what sphynx-like expression is forming in your countenance.
我不知道你的脸上正露出什么令人费解的表情。
You are to share my solitude. Do you understand?"
你也同我一样会独处,你知道吗?”
I shook my head: it required a degree of courage, excited as he was becoming, even to risk that mute sign of dissent.
我摇了摇头。在他那么激动起来的时候,即使是冒险做个表示异议的暗号,也需要有点勇气。
He had been walking fast about the room, and he stopped, as if suddenly rooted to one spot.
他在房间里飞快地走动着,随后停了下来,仿佛猛地在原地生了根似的,
He looked at me long and hard: I turned my eyes from him, fixed them on the fire,
狠狠地打量了我半天。我把目光从他身上转开,聚集在火炉上,
and tried to assume and maintain a quiet, collected aspect.
而且竭力摆出安宁、镇静的姿态。