"No, sir, finish it now; I pity you -- I do earnestly pity you."
“不,先生,现在就讲完它。我怜悯你--我真诚地怜悯你。”
"Pity, Jane, from some people is a noxious and insulting sort of tribute,
“怜悯,这个词出自某些人之口时,简,是讨厌而带有污辱性的,
which one is justified in hurling back in the teeth of those who offer it;
完全有理由把它奉还给说出来的人。
but that is the sort of pity native to callous, selfish hearts;
不过那是内心自私无情的人的怜悯,
it is a hybrid, egotistical pain at hearing of woes, crossed with ignorant contempt for those who have endured them.
这是听到灾祸以后所产生的以自我为中心的痛苦,混杂着对受害者的盲目鄙视。
But that is not your pity, Jane; it is not the feeling of which your whole face is full at this moment
但这不是你的怜悯,简,此刻你满脸透出的不是这种感情。
with which your eyes are now almost overflowing
此刻你眼睛里洋溢着的
with which your heart is heaving
你内心搏动着的
with which your hand is trembling in mine.
使你的手颤抖的是另一种感情。
Your pity, my darling, is the suffering mother of love: its anguish is the very natal pang of the divine passion.
我的宝贝,你的怜悯是爱的痛苦母亲,它的痛苦是神圣的热恋出世时的阵痛。
I accept it, Jane; let the daughter have free advent -- my arms wait to receive her."
我接受了,简;让那女儿自由地降生吧,我的怀抱已等待着接纳她了。”