"One night I had been awakened by her yells
“一天夜里我被她的叫喊惊醒了
(since the medical men had pronounced her mad, she had, of course, been shut up)
(自从医生宣布她疯了以后,她当然是被关起来了)
it was a fiery West Indian night; one of the description that frequently precede the hurricanes of those climates.
那是西印度群岛火燎似的夜晚,这种天气常常是飓风到来的前奏。
Being unable to sleep in bed, I got up and opened the window.
我难以入睡,便爬起来开了窗。
The air was like sulphur-steams -- I could find no refreshment anywhere.
空气像含硫的蒸气--到处都让人提不起神来。
Mosquitoes came buzzing in and hummed sullenly round the room;
蚊子嗡嗡的飞进来,阴沉地在房间里打转。
the sea, which I could hear from thence, rumbled dull like an earthquake -- black clouds were casting up over it;
在那儿我能听到大海之声,像地震一般沉闷地隆隆响着。黑云在大海上空集结,
the moon was setting in the waves, broad and red, like a hot cannon-ball
月亮沉落在宽阔的红色波浪上,像一个滚烫的炮弹,
she threw her last bloody glance over a world quivering with the ferment of tempest.
向颤抖着正酝酿风暴的海洋,投去血色的目光。
I was physically influenced by the atmosphere and scene,
我确实深受这种气氛和景色的感染,
and my ears were filled with the curses the maniac still shrieked out;
而我的耳朵却充斥着疯子尖叫着的咒骂声。
wherein she momentarily mingled my name with such a tone of demon-hate, with such language!
咒骂中夹杂着我的名字,语调里那么充满仇恨,语言又那么肮脏!
no professed harlot ever had a fouler vocabulary than she: though two rooms off, I heard every word
没有一个以卖淫为业的妓女,会使用比她更污秽的字眼,尽管隔了两个房间,我每个字都听得清清楚楚,
the thin partitions of the West India house opposing but slight obstruction to her wolfish cries."
西印度群岛薄薄的隔板丝毫挡不住她狼一般的嚎叫。