"'This life,' said I at last, 'is hell: this is the air -- those are the sounds of the bottomless pit!
“‘这种生活,’我终于说,‘是地狱!这就是无底深渊里的空气和声音!
I have a right to deliver myself from it if I can.
要是我能够,我有权解脱自己。
The sufferings of this mortal state will leave me with the heavy flesh that now cumbers my soul.
人世的痛苦连同拖累我灵魂的沉重肉体会离我而去。
Of the fanatic's burning eternity I have no fear:
对狂热者信奉的地狱之火,我并不害怕。
there is not a future state worse than this present one -- let me break away, and go home to God!'"
将来的状况不会比现在的更糟--让我摆脱,回到上帝那儿去吧!’”
"I said this whilst I knelt down at, and unlocked a trunk which contained a brace of loaded pistols:
“我一面说,一面蹲在一只箱子旁边,把锁打开,箱子里放着一对上了子弹的手枪。
I mean to shoot myself. I only entertained the intention for a moment;
我想开枪自杀。但这一念头只转了一会儿,
for, not being insane, the crisis of exquisite and unalloyed despair, which had originated the wish and design of self-destruction, was past in a second."
由于我没有发疯,那种激起自杀念头并使我万念俱灰的危机,刹那间过去了。”
"A wind fresh from Europe blew over the ocean and rushed through the open casement:
“刚刚来自欧洲的风吹过洋面,穿过宽敞的窗户。
the storm broke, streamed, thundered, blazed, and the air grew pure.
暴风雨到来了,大雨滂沱,雷鸣电闪,空气变得清新了。
I then framed and fixed a resolution.
随后我设想并下定了决心。
While I walked under the dripping orange-trees of my wet garden,
我在湿漉漉的园子里水珠滴嗒的桔子树下,
and amongst its drenched pomegranates and pine-apples,
在湿透的石榴和菠萝树中间漫步,
and while the refulgent dawn of the tropics kindled round me -- I reasoned thus, Jane
周围燃起了灿烂的热带黎明--于是我思考着,简。
and now listen; for it was true Wisdom that consoled me in that hour, and showed me the right path to follow."
噢,听着,在那一时刻真正的智慧抚慰了我,向我指明了正确的道路。”