Your 327.5-pound watermelon broke the fair's record last year. How did you even get it to the fair in one piece?
你的327.5磅重的西瓜打破了去年展览会的记录。一开始你是怎么把西瓜完好无损地弄到展览会的呢?
I used four guys and a tarp made with special handles.
我用了四个人和一块有特殊把手的防水布。
We rolled the watermelon onto one side, put the tarp underneath it, and rolled it back onto the other side.
我们把西瓜滚到一边,把防水布盖在下面,再把它滚到另一边。
Then everybody grabbed a corner, and we slid it into the back of my hatchback car.
然后每个人抓一个角,我们把它放到我的掀背车后面。
You must be quite the sight on the road.
你在路上一定很引人注目。
We'll be driving on the interstate and people will pull up right beside us—it's borderline dangerous.
我们在州际公路上行驶,人们就把车停到我们旁边-这很危险。
My wife takes a piece of paper and writes down the weight because people always mouth "How much?" and you just hold up the paper to tell them.
我妻子拿了一张纸,把重量写在上面,因为人们总是问“有多重?”然后把纸举起来告诉他们就行了。
Do you use some kind of magic seeds?
你用了某种有魔力的种子吗?
We use Carolina Cross. It's the only variety that gets this big. We breed our own. We even hand-pollinate them.
我们用的是卡罗莱纳杂交种。这是唯一能长这么大的品种。我们自己做繁殖,我们甚至做了人工授粉。
What's the hardest thing about growing a 300-pound watermelon?
种一个300磅重的西瓜最难的事情是什么?
The rabbits and mice, because they'll chew on the vines. I put out mousetraps, and I have a BB gun.
提防兔子和老鼠,因为他们会吃藤蔓。我放了捕鼠器,我有一把BB型气枪。
I even put coyote urine around the garden because coyotes are a natural predator.
我甚至在园子周围放了丛林狼尿液,因为丛林狼是兔子天然的捕食者。
Rabbits won't go near it if they think coyotes are out.
如果有丛林狼的话,兔子是不会接近的。