From Montgomery we flew to Washington.
我们从蒙哥马利飞往华盛顿。
It was the first time I had ever been on an airplane.
那是我第一次乘飞机。
In fact it was the first time that I traveled out of the South.
事实上那是我第一次离开南部。
On June 15, 1977, I was one of 900 high schoolers greeted by the new president, President Jimmy Carter
1977年6月15日,我作为900位高中生的其中一个迎接新总统,总统吉米·卡特,
on the south lawn of the White House, right there on the other side of the ellipse.
见面会在白宫的南草坪上,就在椭圆的另一边。
I was one of the lucky ones, who got to shake his hand.
我是和他握手的幸运者之一。
Carter saw Baldwin County on my name tag that day and stopped to speak with me.
卡特看见在我的名字标签上写着鲍德温县,于是停下来和我说话。
He wanted to know how people were doing after the rash of storms that struck Alabama that year.
他想知道人们在阿拉巴马州的风暴袭击后怎样了。
Carter was kind and compassionate;
卡特善良,有同情心,
he held the most powerful job in the world but he had not sacrificed any of his humanity.
他拥有世界上最有权势的工作,但他具有人道主义精神。
I felt proud that he was president. And I felt proud that he was from the South.
我为他是总统而感到自豪。更为他来自南方而感到自豪。
In the space of a week, I had come face to face with two men who guaranteed themselves a place in history.
在一个星期内,我已经与两个在历史上有着举足轻重地位的人打了照面。
They came from the same region. They were from the same political party.
他们来自同一个地区。他们来自同一个政党。
They were both governors of adjoining states.
他们都是毗邻州的州长。
But they looked at the world in very different ways.
但是他们用非常不同的方式看世界。
It was clear to me, that one was right, and one was wrong.
我很清楚,哪一个是正确的,哪一个是错误的。
Wallace had built his political career by exploiting divisions between us.
华莱士通过制造我们之间的分歧来建造他的政治生涯。
Carter's message on the other hand, was that we are all bound together, every one of us.
另一方面,卡特主张是人们都是联系在一起的,包括我们中的每一个人。
Each had made a journey that led them to the values that they lived by,
每一个人都进行了一次旅程,引导他们找到他们生活的价值,
but it wasn't just about their experiences or their circumstances, it had to come from within.
但它不仅仅源自于他们的经历或生存环境,它必须来自内部。