"It was with me; and I did not like it.
“我是曾有这个想法,但我并不喜欢这么做。
It was a grovelling fashion of existence: I should never like to return to it.
这是一种苟旦偷生的生活,我决不想走回头路了。
Hiring a mistress is the next worse thing to buying a slave:
雇一个情妇之坏仅次于买一个奴隶,
both are often by nature, and always by position, inferior: and to live familiarly with inferiors is degrading.
两者就本性和地位而言都是低下的,同下人厮混是堕落,
I now hate the recollection of the time I passed with Céline, Giacinta, and Clara."
现在我讨厌回忆同塞莉纳、嘉辛塔和克莱拉一起的日子。”
I felt the truth of these words; and I drew from them the certain inference,
我觉得这番话很真实,并从中作出了推断:
that if I were so far to forget myself and all the teaching that had ever been instilled into me,
要是我忘了自己,忘了向来所受的教导,
as -- under any pretext -- with any justification -- through any temptation
在任何借口,任何理由和任何诱惑之下
to become the successor of these poor girls,
重蹈这些可怜姑娘的复辙,
he would one day regard me with the same feeling which now in his mind desecrated their memory.
有朝一日,他会以此刻回忆起来时亵渎她们的同样心情,来对待我。
I did not give utterance to this conviction: it was enough to feel it.
我并没有把这个想法说出来,感受到了也就够了。
I impressed it on my heart, that it might remain there to serve me as aid in the time of trial.
我把它印在心坎里,让它在考验的时刻对我有所帮助。