"Now, Jane, why don't you say 'Well, sir?' I have not done.
“噢,简,你干嘛不说‘那么,先生?’我还没有说完呢。
You are looking grave. You disapprove of me still, I see.
你神情严肃,看得出来不同意我的看法。
But let me come to the point.
不过让我直说吧。
Last January, rid of all mistresses -- in a harsh, bitter frame of mind, the result of a useless, roving, lonely life
去年一月,我打发走了所有的情妇--当时的心情既冷酷又苦恼,那是毫无意义、飘忽不定的孤独生活的苦果
corroded with disappointment, sourly disposed against all men,
我心灰意冷,便怒悻悻地反对一切男性,
and especially against all womankind (for I began to regard the notion of an intellectual, faithful, loving woman as a mere dream),
尤其是反对一切女性(因为,我开始认为理智、忠实、可爱的女人不过是一种梦想),
recalled by business, I came back to England.
因为事务需要,我回到了英格兰。”
"On a frosty winter afternoon, I rode in sight of Thornfield Hall. Abhorred spot!
“一个有霜冻的冬日下午,我骑在马上看见了桑菲尔德府。多么骇人的地方!
I expected no peace -- no pleasure there.
在那里我预料没有安宁,没有欢乐。
On a stile in Hay Lane I saw a quiet little figure sitting by itself.
在海巷的阶梯上我看到一个斯斯文文的小东西独个儿坐着。
I passed it as negligently as I did the pollard willow opposite to it:
我不经意地在她旁边走过,就像路过对面截去树梢的柳树一样。
I had no presentiment of what it would be to me;
这小东西与我会有什么关系,我没有预感,
no inward warning that the arbitress of my life -- my genius for good or evil -- waited there in humble guise.
也没有内心的感应暗示我。我生活的仲裁人--好歹也是我的守护神--穿着一身很不起眼的衣服坐在那儿。
I did not know it, even when, on the occasion of Mesrour's accident, it came up and gravely offered me help.
甚至我的梅斯罗马出了事故,这小东西一本正经上来帮忙时,我也还不知道她呢。
Childish and slender creature!
一个稚气十足、纤弱苗条的家伙!
It seemed as if a linnet had hopped to my foot and proposed to bear me on its tiny wing.
仿佛一只红雀跳到我脚边,提议用它细小的翅膀背负我。
I was surly; but the thing would not go:
我有些粗暴,但这东西就是不走,
it stood by me with strange perseverance, and looked and spoke with a sort of authority.
站在我旁边,固执得出奇,一付不容违抗的神态和口气。
I must be aided, and by that hand: and aided I was."
我得有人帮忙,而且是由那双手来帮,结果我是得到了帮助。”