"Don't talk any more of those days, sir," I interrupted, furtively dashing away some tears from my eyes;
“别再谈那些日子了,先生,”我打断了他,偷偷地抹去了几滴眼泪。
his language was torture to me; for I knew what I must do -- and do soon
他的话对我无异于折磨,因为我知道自己该做什么--并且马上做,
and all these reminiscences, and these revelations of his feelings only made my work more difficult.
所有这一切回忆和他情感的袒露只会使我更加为难。
"No, Jane," he returned: "what necessity is there to dwell on the Past,
“不,简,”他回答说,“当现在已那么肯定,
when the Present is so much surer -- the Future so much brighter?"
未来又那么光明的时候,谈论过去又有什么必要呢?”
I shuddered to hear the infatuated assertion.
我一听这番神魂颠倒的话,打了个寒噤。
"You see now how the case stands -- do you not?" he continued.
“你明白是怎么回事--是不是?”他继续说,
"After a youth and manhood passed half in unutterable misery and half in dreary solitude,
“在一半是难以言传的痛苦和一半是意气消沉的孤独中,
I have for the first time found what I can truly love -- I have found you.
度过了我的少年和成年时期后,我第一次发现我可以真正爱的东西--我找到了你。
You are my sympathy -- my better self -- my good angel.
你是我的共鸣体--我的更好的一半--我的好天使
I am bound to you with a strong attachment.
我与你紧紧地依恋着。
I think you good, gifted, lovely: a fervent, a solemn passion is conceived in my heart;
我认为你很出色,有天份,很可爱,一种热烈而庄严的激情隐藏在我内心。
it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wraps my existence about you,
这种激情向着你,把你吸引到我的中心和生命的春天,把我的存在包裹在你的周围,
and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.
并且燃起纯洁、猛烈的火焰,把你我熔合在一起。”