"Well, when I came to think it all over in cool blood I was very much astonished,
"后来,当我冷静下来全盘考虑这件事时,我感到十分惊讶,
as you may both think, at this sudden commission which had been intrusted to me.
正如您们两位可以想象出来的,对于我所接受的这件突如其来地委托给我的业务。
On the one hand, of course, I was glad,
当然,一方面我很高兴,
for the fee was at least tenfold what I should have asked had I set a price upon my own services,
因为假如给我的任务定个价格,他出的酬金至少是十倍于我所要求的,
and it was possible that this order might lead to other ones.
并且很可能这次任务会导致其它一些任务。
On the other hand, the face and manner of my patron had made an unpleasant impression upon me,
另一方面,我的主顾的那副尊容和举止给了我一个很不愉快的印象,
and I could not think that his explanation of the fuller's-earth was sufficient to explain the necessity for my coming at midnight,
我觉得他关于漂白土的解释不足以说明我深夜前往的必要性,
and his extreme anxiety lest I should tell anyone of my errand.
也不足以说明他为什么那么担心,唯恐我会对别人谈到我这件差事。
However, I threw all fears to the winds, ate a hearty supper, drove to Paddington,
不管怎么样,我把一切恐惧置诸脑后,饱餐了一顿晚饭,驱车前往帕丁顿,
and started off, having obeyed to the letter the injunction as to holding my tongue.
接着就上了路,严格遵守主顾要我守口如瓶的禁令。
At Reading I had to change not only my carriage but my station.
在雷丁,我不仅必须换车,而且必须更换车站。
However, I was in time for the last train to Eyford, and I reached the little dim-lit station after eleven o'clock.
但是,我刚好赶上了开往艾津的最后一班火车,十一点钟以后,就到达了那灯光暗淡的小站。
I was the only passenger who got out there,
我是在那里下车的唯一的乘客,
and there was no one upon the platform save a single sleepy porter with a lantern.
除了一个提着灯笼显得发困的搬运工人之外,站台上阒无一人。
As I passed out through the wicket gate,
然而当我走出检票口时,
however, I found my acquaintance of the morning waiting in the shadow upon the other side.
我发现我早上结交的那位相识正在另一边没有灯光的暗处等待着我。
Without a word he grasped my arm and hurried me into a carriage, the door of which was standing open.
他一言不发就攥住了我的胳膊,催我赶紧登上一辆一直敞开着车门的马车。
He drew up the windows on either side, tapped on the wood-work, and away we went as fast as the horse could go."
他拉上两边的窗子,敲了敲马车的木板,马就飞快地奔跑了起来。"