Some time passed before I felt tranquil even here:
即使在这儿,我也过了好一会才感到宁静。
I had a vague dread that wild cattle might be near, or that some sportsman or poacher might discover me.
我隐约担心附近会有野兽,或者某个狩猎人或偷猎者会发现我。
If a gust of wind swept the waste, I looked up, fearing it was the rush of a bull;
要是一阵风刮起了荒草,我就会抬起头来,深怕是一头野牛冲将过来了。
if a plover whistled, I imagined it a man.
要是一只行鸟叫了一下,我会想象是一个人的声音。
Finding my apprehensions unfounded, however,
然而我发现自己的担忧不过是捕风捉影,
and calmed by the deep silence that reigned as evening declined at nightfall, I took confidence.
此外黄昏过后夜幕降临时深沉的寂静,使我镇定了下来,我便有了信心。
As yet I had not thought; I had only listened, watched, dreaded; now I regained the faculty of reflection.
但在这之前我没有思考过,只不过细听着,担心着,观察着。而现在我又恢复了思索的能力。
What was I to do? Where to go? Oh, intolerable questions, when I could do nothing and go nowhere!
我该怎么办?往哪儿去?呵,当我无法可想,无处可去的时候,那些问题多么难以忍受呀!
When a long way must yet be measured by my weary, trembling limbs before I could reach human habitation
我得用疲乏颤抖的双腿走完很长的路,才能抵达有人烟的地方
when cold charity must be entreated before I could get a lodging:
我要恳求发点冷冷的慈悲,才能找到一个投宿之处;
reluctant sympathy importuned, almost certain repulse incurred,
我要强求勉为其难的同情,而且多半还会遭人嫌弃,
before my tale could be listened to, or one of my wants relieved!
才能使人听听我的经历,满足我的需要。