I touched the heath, it was dry, and yet warm with the beat of the summer day.
我碰了碰欧石南,只觉得它很干燥,还带着夏日热力的微温。
I looked at the sky; it was pure: a kindly star twinkled just above the chasm ridge.
我看了看天空,只见它清明纯净,一颗星星在山凹上空和蔼地眨眼。
The dew fell, but with propitious softness; no breeze whispered.
露水降下来了,带着慈爱的温柔。没有微风在低语。
Nature seemed to me benign and good; I thought she loved me, outcast as I was;
大自然似乎对我很慈祥,虽然我成了流浪者,但我想她很爱我。
and I, who from man could anticipate only mistrust, rejection, insult, clung to her with filial fondness.
我从人那儿只能期待怀疑、嫌弃和侮辱,我要忠心耿耿一往情深地依恋大自然。
To-night, at least, I would be her guest, as I was her child:
至少今晚我可以在那儿作客了,因为我是她的孩子,
my mother would lodge me without money and without price.
我的母亲会收留我,不要钱,不要付出代价。
I had one morsel of bread yet:
我还有一口吃剩的面包,
the remnant of a roll I had bought in a town we passed through at noon with a stray penny -- my last coin.
那面包是我用一便士零钱,我最后的一枚硬币,从下午路过的小镇买来的。
I saw ripe bilberries gleaming here and there, like jet beads in the heath:
我看到了成熟的越桔--像欧石南丛中的煤玉那样,随处闪着光。
I gathered a handful and ate them with the bread.
我采集了一大把,和着面包吃。
My hunger, sharp before, was, if not satisfied, appeased by this hermit's meal.
我刚才还饥肠辘辘,隐士的食品虽然吃不饱,却足以充饥了。
I said my evening prayers at its conclusion, and then chose my couch.
吃完饭我做了夜祷告,随后便择榻就寝了。