Suddenly, without any preliminary sound in the midst of the utter stillness, the door of my room swung slowly open.
突然,在这极度寂静之中,事先没有听到一点响声,我房间的门慢慢地打开了。
The woman was standing in the aperture, the darkness of the hall behind her,
那个女人站在门缝里,身后是黑暗的大厅,
the yellow light from my lamp beating upon her eager and beautiful face.
我那盏灯上昏黄的灯光照在她那热切而美丽的面庞上。
I could see at a glance that she was sick with fear, and the sight sent a chill to my own heart.
我一眼就看出她惶恐不安的神色,这个情景使我感到胆战心寒。
She held up one shaking finger to warn me to be silent,
她哆哆嗦嗦地举起一只手指警告我不要作声,
and she shot a few whispered words of broken English at me,
飞快地对我说了声不太象样的英国话。
her eyes glancing back, like those of a frightened horse, into the gloom behind her.
她的眼睛就象一匹受惊的马驹那样,匆匆地回顾身后的阴暗处。
'I would go,' said she, trying hard, as it seemed to me, to speak calmly;
'我要是您我就跑掉了,'她说。看来她是在力图使自己讲得平静一些,
'I would go. I should not stay here. There is no good for you to do.'
'我要是您我就跑掉了,我不会留在这儿。留下来对您没有好处。'
'But, madam,' said I, 'I have not yet done what I came for.
'但是,夫人,'我说,'我还没有做为此而来的工作呢。
I cannot possibly leave until I have seen the machine.'
我在看过机器之后,才能离开这里。'
'It is not worth your while to wait,' she went on. 'You can pass through the door; no one hinders.'
'不值得一等,'她接着说,'您可以从这扇门走出去,没有人会阻拦您。'
And then, seeing that I smiled and shook my head,
她见我微笑着摆摆头,
she suddenly threw aside her constraint and made a step forward, with her hands wrung together.
突然摆脱了局促的状态,向前走了一步,两手紧握在一起。
'For the love of Heaven!' she whispered, 'get away from here before it is too late!'
'看在上天的面上!'她低声说,'趁现在还来得及,快点逃跑!'