Beside the crag the heath was very deep: when I lay down my feet were buried in it;
岩石旁边,欧石南长得很高。我一躺下,双脚便陷了进去,
rising high on each side, it left only a narrow space for the night-air to invade.
两边的石楠高高坚起,只留下很窄的一块地方要受夜气侵袭。
I folded my shawl double, and spread it over me for a coverlet; a low, mossy swell was my pillow.
我把披肩一摺为二,铺在身上作盖被,一个长满青苔的低矮小墩当了枕头。
Thus lodged, I was not, at least -- at the commencement of the night, cold.
我就这么住下了,至少在夜刚来临时,是觉得冷的。
My rest might have been blissful enough, only a sad heart broke it.
我的安息本来也许是够幸福的,可惜让一颗悲伤的心破坏了,
It plained of its gaping wounds, its inward bleeding, its riven chords.
它泣诉着自己张开的伤口、流血的心扉、折断的心弦。
It trembled for Mr. Rochester and his doom; it bemoaned him with bitter pity; it demanded him with ceaseless longing;
它为罗切斯特先生和他的灭亡而颤抖,因为痛惜而为他恸哭。它带着无休止的渴望召唤他,
and, impotent as a bird with both wings broken, it still quivered its shattered pinions in vain attempts to seek him.
尽管它像断了双翅的小鸟那样无能为力,却仍旧抖动着断翅,徒劳地找寻着他。
Worn out with this torture of thought, I rose to my knees.
我被这种念头折磨得疲乏不堪,于是便起来跪着。
Night was come, and her planets were risen: a safe, still night: too serene for the companionship of fear.
夜已来临,星星已经升起,这是一个平安宁静的夜,平静得与恐怖无缘。
We know that God is everywhere;
我们知道上帝无处不在,
but certainly we feel his presence most when his works are on the grandest scale spread before us;
但当他的劳作壮丽地展现在我们面前时,我们才最感觉到他的存在。
and it is in the unclouded night-sky, where His worlds wheel their silent course,
在万里无云的夜空中,在他的宇宙无声地滚滚向前的地方,
that we read clearest his infinitude, his omnipotence, his omnipresence.
我们清楚地看到了他的无边无涯,他的万能,他无处不在。