"Did she know of any place in the neighbourhood where a servant was wanted?"
“你知道附近有谁需要佣人吗?”
"Nay; she couldn't say."
“不,我说不上来。”
"What was the chief trade in this place? What did most of the people do?"
“这个地方的主要行业是什么?大多数人是干什么活儿的?”
"Some were farm labourers; a good deal worked at Mr. Oliver's needle-factory, and at the foundry."
“有些是农场工,很多人在奥利弗先生的缝纫厂和翻砂厂工作。”
"Did Mr. Oliver employ women?"
“奥利弗先生雇用女人吗?”
"Nay; it was men's work."
“不,那是男人的工作。”
"And what do the women do?"
“那么女人干什么呢?”
"I knawn't," was the answer. "Some does one thing, and some another. Poor folk mun get on as they can."
“我说不上来,”对方回答,“有的干这,有的干那,穷人总得想方设法把日子过下去呀。”
She seemed to be tired of my questions: and, indeed, what claim had I to importune her?
她似乎对我的回话不耐烦了,其实我又何必强人所难呢?
A neighbour or two came in; my chair was evidently wanted. I took leave.
这时进来了一两位邻居,很明显看中了我的椅子,我起身告辞了。
I passed up the street, looking as I went at all the houses to the right hand and to the left;
我沿街走去,一面走一面左顾右盼,打量着所有的房子,
but I could discover no pretext, nor see an inducement to enter any.
但找不到进门的借口或动机。
I rambled round the hamlet, going sometimes to a little distance and returning again, for an hour or more.
我这么漫无目的地绕着村庄走了一个来小时,有时走远了一些,又折回来。
Much exhausted, and suffering greatly now for want of food, I turned aside into a lane and sat down under the hedge.
因为没有东西下肚,我筋疲力尽难受极了,于是折进一条小巷,在树篱下坐了下来。
Ere many minutes had elapsed, I was again on my feet,
可是没过几分钟我又站起来,
however, and again searching something -- a resource, or at least an informant.
再去找些什么--食物,或者至少打听到一点消息。
A pretty little house stood at the top of the lane, with a garden before it, exquisitely neat and brilliantly blooming.
小巷的高处有一间漂亮的小房子,房子前有一个精致整洁、繁花盛开的花园。