Near the churchyard, and in the middle of a garden,
靠近教堂院子和一个花园的中间,
stood a well-built though small house, which I had no doubt was the parsonage.
有一所虽然不大但建造得很好的房子,我确信那是牧师的住所。
I remembered that strangers who arrive at a place where they have no friends, and who want employment,
我想起来,陌生人到了一个无亲无故的地方,想找个工作,
sometimes apply to the clergyman for introduction and aid.
有时会去找牧师引荐和帮助。
It is the clergyman's function to help -- at least with advice -- those who wished to help themselves.
给那些希望自立的人帮忙--至少是出主意是牧师份内的事儿。
I seemed to have something like a right to seek counsel here.
我似乎有某种权利上那儿去听主意。
Renewing then my courage, and gathering my feeble remains of strength, I pushed on.
于是我鼓起勇气,集中起一点点残留的力气,奋力往前走去。
I reached the house, and knocked at the kitchen-door.
我到了房子跟前,敲了敲厨房的门。
An old woman opened: I asked was this the parsonage? "Yes."
一位老妇开了门,我问她这是不是牧师的住所。“是的。”
"Was the clergyman in?" "No."
“牧师在吗?” “没有。”
"Would he be in soon?"
“很快会回来吗?”
"No, he was gone from home." "To a distance?"
“不,他离开家了。” “去很远的地方?”
"Not so far -- happen three mile. He had been called away by the sudden death of his father:
“不太远--三英里。他因为父亲突然去世被叫走了,
he was at Marsh End now, and would very likely stay there a fortnight longer."
眼下住在沼泽居,很可能还要再呆上两周。”
"Was there any lady of the house?"
“家里有哪位小姐在吗?”
"Nay, there was naught but her, and she was housekeeper;"
“没有,除了我没有别人,而我是管家。”
and of her, reader, I could not bear to ask the relief for want of which I was sinking;
读者呀,我不忍求她帮我摆脱越陷越深的困境,
I could not yet beg; and again I crawled away.
而我又不能乞讨,于是我再次退缩。