Once more I took off my handkerchief -- once more I thought of the cakes of bread in the little shop.
我又取下了围巾--又想起了小店的面包。
Oh, for but a crust! for but one mouthful to allay the pang of famine!
呵,就是一片面包屑也好!只要有一口就能减轻饥饿的痛苦!
Instinctively I turned my face again to the village;
我本能地又把脸转向了村庄,
I found the shop again, and I went in;
我又看见了那个店,走了进去,
and though others were there besides the woman I ventured the request
尽管除了那女人里面还有其他人,我冒昧地提出了请求
"Would she give me a roll for this handkerchief?"
“你肯让我用这块围巾换一个面包卷吗?”
She looked at me with evident suspicion: "Nay, she never sold stuff i' that way."
她显然满腹狐疑地看着我,“不,我从来不那么卖东西。”
Almost desperate, I asked for half a cake; she again refused.
在几乎走投无路之中,我央求她换半个,她再次拒绝了。
"How could she tell where I had got the handkerchief?" she said.
“我怎么知道你从什么地方弄来的围巾?”她说。
"Would she take my gloves?"
“你肯收这双手套吗?”
"No! what could she do with them?"
“不行,我要它干什么?”