The girl emptied the stiffened mould into my hand, and I devoured it ravenously.
这女孩把结了块的粥倒在我手上,我狼吞虎咽地吃掉了。
As the wet twilight deepened, I stopped in a solitary bridle-path, which I had been pursuing an hour or more.
湿润的黄昏越来越浓时,我在一条偏僻的马道上走了一个多小时后停了下来。
"My strength is quite failing me," I said in a soliloquy.
“我体力不行了,”我自言自语地说。
"I feel I cannot go much farther. Shall I be an outcast again this night?
“自己觉得走不了多远了。难道今晚又没有地方投宿?
While the rain descends so, must I lay my head on the cold, drenched ground?
雨下得那么大,难道我又得把头靠在阴冷湿透的地面上吗?
I fear I cannot do otherwise: for who will receive me?
我担心自己别无选择了。谁肯接纳我呢?
But it will be very dreadful, with this feeling of hunger, faintness, chill, and this sense of desolation
但是那着实可怕,带着这种饥饿、昏眩、寒冷、凄楚的感觉
this total prostration of hope.
一种绝望的心情。
In all likelihood, though, I should die before morning.
不过很可能我捱不到早上就会死去。
And why cannot I reconcile myself to the prospect of death?
那么我为什么不能心甘情愿地死掉呢?
Why do I struggle to retain a valueless life?
为什么我还要挣扎来维持没有价值的生命?
Because I know, or believe, Mr. Rochester is living:
因为我知道,或是相信,罗切斯特先生还活着,
and then, to die of want and cold is a fate to which nature cannot submit passively.
另外,死于饥寒是天性所不能默认的命运。
Oh, Providence! sustain me a little longer! Aid! -- direct me!"
呵,上天呀!再支撑我一会儿!帮助我!指引我吧!”