But what's it worth? In the job market? Out there, today?
但是这个学位价值何在?在就业市场上,在那里,就在当下,有什么价值?
We know the market for college graduates is more competitive now than ever.
我们知道对于大学毕业生来,如今就业市场里的竞争是史无前例的激烈。
Now some of you already have a job lined up, you've got a path where today's job is going to become tomorrow's career,
你们中的一些人已经找到了一份工作,现在的工作将会变为未来的事业,你们已经走在这样的道路上,
but for most of you the future's probably still pretty fuzzy
但对你们中的多数人而言,未来可能仍然相当模糊,
you don't have that job that directly reflects the degree you just got.
你们找不到和你们刚刚获得的学位相匹配的工作。
Many of you don't even have a job at all.
你们中的许多人甚至根本找不到工作。
Think about it: you've just completed your scholastic educational curriculum in life
想想看:你们刚刚完成了人生中的学校教育课程,
the one you started when you were 5 years old in kindergarten up until now,
从5岁上幼儿园时就开始一直到现在的课程。
and your future may not be any more clear than it was 5 years ago.
你们的未来可能并不比5年前更清晰。
You don't have the answers and it's probably pretty damn scary.
你们找不到答案,而这可能相当吓人。
And I say, that's OK, 'cause that is how it is: this is the reality that many of you are facing.
我认为这没什么,因为事实如此:这正是你们中的许多人面对的现实。
This is the world that we live in.
这就是我们生活的世界。
And well, I'm not here to discourage you or in any way belittle your accomplishments.
我今晚来这里不是让你们气馁,也不是要用任何方式来贬低你们的成就。
But tonight, which I'd like to applaud that one more time -- you graduated.
今晚,我要再次为你们的成就鼓掌--你们毕业了。
Now I'm not here to be a downer on that. Let's get that straight, but I am here to talk brass tacks.
我来这里不是泼冷水的。坦白地说,我是来这里讨论基本事实的。
I want to skip the flattery and the attaboys, 'cause I do know this:
我想跳过那些恭维和安慰的话,因为我知道:
the sooner that we become less impressed with our life, with our accomplishments, with our career, with whatever that prospect is in front of us,
对于我们的人生,我们的成就,我们的职业,我们的前程,我们越快以平常心待之,
the sooner we become less impressed and more involved with that and these things, the sooner we get a whole lot better at doing them.
越快地投入其中,我们就越快做得更好。