Yes. Jon thought of Gilly. She and her sisters. They were nineteen, and Craster was one, but...
是啊。琼恩想起了吉莉,想起了她的姐妹们,她们共有十九人,卡斯特孤身一个,可……
"Yet it would be an ill day for us if Craster died.
“其实对我们而言,卡斯特的死并不值得庆幸。
Your uncle could tell you of the times Craster's Keep made the difference between life and death for our rangers."
你叔叔若健在,必会告诉你卡斯特堡垒对我们的游骑兵来说,通常意味着生与死的差别。”
"My father..." He hesitated.
“我父亲说……”他犹豫起来。
"Go on, Jon. Say what you would say."
“说吧,琼恩。想说什么只管说。”
"My father once told me that some men are not worth having," Jon finished.
“我父亲告诉过我,有的人是咎由自取,罪有应得,”琼恩道,
"A bannerman who is brutal or unjust dishonors his liege lord as well as himself."
“一个残暴不公的封臣不仅玷污了自己,还玷污了他的主人。”
"Craster is his own man. He has sworn us no vows. Nor is he subject to our laws.
“卡斯特是个自由人,他没有对我们宣誓,并不需遵从我们的律法。
Your heart is noble, Jon, but learn a lesson here. We cannot set the world to rights.
你有一颗高贵的心,琼恩,但你得学会这一课:我们不能按自己的想法来塑造这个世界,
That is not our purpose. The Night's Watch has other wars to fight."
这并非我们的目的,咱们守夜人军团的职责只是战斗。”
Other wars. Yes. I must remember. "Jarman Buckwell said I might have need of my sword soon."
战斗,是啊,我必须谨记。“贾曼·布克威尔也说我的剑很快就要派上用场。”
"Did he?" Mormont did not seem pleased. "Craster said much and more last night,
“是吗?”莫尔蒙看来有些忧虑,“昨晚,卡斯特对我们说了许多,
and confirmed enough of my fears to condemn me to a sleepless night on his floor.
完全印证了我之前的担心。我躺在地板上,一夜没睡。
Mance Rayder is gathering his people together in the Frostfangs. That's why the villages are empty.
曼斯·雷德正在霜雪之牙上聚集部众,因此村落纷纷荒废。
It is the same tale that Ser Denys Mallister had from the wildling his men captured in the Gorge,
这跟出发之前,丹尼斯·梅利斯特爵士的部下从大峡谷里抓到的野人口中得到的消息一模一样。
but Craster has added the where, and that makes all the difference."
惟一的区别在于,卡斯特把他们集结的确切地点告诉了我们,情况越来越复杂了。”