"You tremble and become flushed whenever Miss Oliver enters the schoolroom."
“无论什么时候,奥利弗小姐一走进教室你就颤抖起来、脸涨得通红。”
Again the surprised expression crossed his face.
他脸上再次浮起惊讶的表情。
He had not imagined that a woman would dare to speak so to a man.
他想象不到一个女人居然敢于这么同一个男人说话。
For me, I felt at home in this sort of discourse.
至于我,这—类交谈我非常习惯。
I could never rest in communication with strong, discreet, and refined minds, whether male or female,
我与很有头脑、言语谨慎、富有教养的人交际的时候,不管是男人还是女人,
till I had passed the outworks of conventional reserve, and crossed the threshold of confidence, and won a place by their heart's very hearthstone.
我非要绕过缄默的传统防卫工事,踏进奥秘的门槛,在心坎的火炉边上找到一个位置才肯罢休。
"You are original," said he, "and not timid.
“你确实见解独到,”他说,“胆子也不小
There is something brave in your spirit, as well as penetrating in your eye;
你的精神中有一种勇气,你的眼睛有一种穿透力,
but allow me to assure you that you partially misinterpret my emotions.
可是请允许我向你保证,你部份误解了我的情感。
You think them more profound and potent than they are.
你把这些情感想象得比实际的要深沉,要强烈。
You give me a larger allowance of sympathy than I have a just claim to.
你给了我甚于我正当要求的同情。
When I colour, and when I shade before Miss Oliver, I do not pity myself.
我在奥利弗小姐面前脸红,颤抖时,我不是怜悯自己,
I scorn the weakness.
而是蔑视我的弱点。
I know it is ignoble: a mere fever of the flesh: not, I declare, the convulsion of the soul.
我知道这并不光彩,它不过是肉体的狂热,我宣布,不是灵魂的抽搐。
That is just as fixed as a rock, firm set in the depths of a restless sea.
那灵魂坚加磐石,牢牢扎在骚动不安的大海深处。
Know me to be what I am -- a cold hard man."
你知道我是怎么个人——一个冷酷无情的人。”
I smiled incredulously.
我怀疑地笑了笑。
"You have taken my confidence by storm," he continued, "and now it is much at your service.
“你用突然袭击的办法掏出了我的心里话,”他继续说,“现在就听任你摆布了,
I am simply, in my original state -- stripped of that blood-bleached robe with which Christianity covers human deformity -- a cold, hard, ambitious man.
剥去用基督教义来掩盖人性缺陷、漂净了血污的袍子,我本是个冷酷无情雄心勃勃的人。
Natural affection only, of all the sentiments, has permanent power over me.
只有各种天生的情感会对我产生永久的力量。