He was lifting the latch: a sudden thought occurred to me.
他提起门栓时,一个念头蓦地闪过我脑际。
"Stop one minute!" I cried.
“再呆一分钟!”我叫道。
"Well?"
“怎么?”
"It puzzles me to know why Mr. Briggs wrote to you about me;
“我不明白为什么布里格斯先生会为我的事写信给你,
or how he knew you, or could fancy that you, living in such an out-of-the-way place, had the power to aid in my discovery."
或者他怎么知道你,或者设想你住在这么个偏僻的地方,会有能力帮助他找到我呢。”
"Oh! I am a clergyman," he said;
“呵,我是个牧师,”他说,
"and the clergy are often appealed to about odd matters."
“而奇奇怪怪的事往往求牧师解决。”
Again the latch rattled.
门栓又一次格格响了起来。
"No; that does not satisfy me!" I exclaimed:
“不,那不能使我满意!”我嚷道,
and indeed there was something in the hasty and unexplanatory reply which, instead of allaying, piqued my curiosity more than ever.
其实他那么匆忙而不作解释的回答,不但没有消除我的好奇心,反而更刺激了它。
"It is a very strange piece of business," I added;
“这件事非常奇怪,”我补充说,
"I must know more about it."
“我得再了解一些。”
"Another time."
“改天再谈吧。”,
"No; to-night! -- to-night!"
“不行,今天晚上!
and as he turned from the door, I placed myself between it and him.
当他转身离开门时,我把自己挡在门和他之间。
He looked rather embarrassed.
他看起来很尴尬。
"You certainly shall not go till you have told me all," I said.
“你不统统告诉我就别想走?”我说。
"I would rather not just now."
“现在我还是不讲为好。”
"You shall! -- you must!"
“你要讲!
"I would rather Diana or Mary informed you."
“我情愿让黛安娜和玛丽告诉你。”
Of course these objections wrought my eagerness to a climax:
当然,他的反复拒绝把我的焦急之情推向了高潮:
gratified it must be, and that without delay; and I told him so.
我必须得到满足,而且不容拖延。我把这告诉了他。
"But I apprised you that I was a hard man," said he, "difficult to persuade."
“不过我告诉过你,我是个铁石心肠的男人,”他说,“很难说服。”
"And I am a hard woman, -- impossible to put off."
“而我是个铁石心肠的女人—一无法拖延。”
"And then," he pursued, "I am cold: no fervour infects me."
“那么,”他继续说,“我很冷漠,对任何热情都无动于衷。”