"The worst thing I could think of is you spill it and your kitchen looks like a murder scene.
“我能想到的,最糟糕的场景就是把它弄洒了,就会……搞得你的厨房跟个凶案现场似的。
I'm gonna don gloves cause we're working with blood.
我得戴个手套,因为我们要处理的是血。
Gets under your fingernails."
不然一会儿指甲就没法儿看了。”
It may seem like an unlikely ingredient in modern cuisine,
现代菜肴一般不会拿血当食材,
but blood is popping up on menus across the country.
但事实上全国各地的菜单上都有用血做成的菜。
"It's no different than utilizing any off cut of the animal.
“用血入菜和用从动物身上取下来的其他任何东西入菜并没有分别。
All the greatest cuisines in the world are definitely sprung out of the need to utilize everything.
世界上最伟大的菜肴诞生之初的出发点必然都是物尽其用的需要。
This is corn masa.
这位是柯恩·马沙。
We dehydrated it for the purpose of re-hydrating it with pig's blood."
我们先给它脱水,在用猪血给它充水。”
"Why would you use blood and not water?"
“那你为什么要用血,不直接用水呢?”
"For us it's just about the flavor."
“提味。”
"What's it taste like?"
“那到底是什么味道?”
"When it's raw it's actually not pleasant at all.
“烹饪之前其实一点儿都不好闻。
When you cook it, if you love great chicken liver, if you love great calves' liver it's a better version of that."
但烹饪之后,如果你喜欢优质的鸡肝或小牛肝的味道的话,血烹饪之后的味道比那个还要好。”
Along with flavor and re-hydration, blood can also act as a thickener and color dye.
除了调味和补水,血还可以用作增稠剂和染料。
"It's a very polarizing ingredient.
“血其实是风评比较两极分化的一种食材。
It's either: there's no way in hell I'm ordering that or, oh man, awesome."
食客要么会觉得,打死我也不可能点那玩意儿,要么就觉得,我晕,也太可了吧。”
"Should I try blood?"
“那我要试一下吗?”
"Of course you should.
“当然。
You should try everything.
不管什么东西你都应该尝试一下。
You should try every exciting, new confrontational culinary thing that comes across your path."
凡是你碰上的令人兴奋的、跟传统相冲突的新烹饪方法你都可以尝试一下。”
"It's still very much unfortunately a taboo ingredient.
“遗憾的是,这种食材很大程度上还是一种禁忌。
I find the best way to get somebody to try something is to craft it into a small beautiful bite."
我发现,要让一个人尝试某个东西,最好的办法就是把它做得特别精美,做成一口一个的规格。”