He had not kept his promise of treating me like his sisters;
他并没有信守诺言,对我以妹妹相待,
he continually made little chilling differences between us, which did not at all tend to the development of cordiality:
而是不断地显出那种小小的令人寒心的区别,丝毫没有要慢慢亲热起来的意思。
in short, now that I was acknowledged his kinswoman, and lived under the same roof with him,
总之,自从我被认作他的亲人,并同住一屋后,
I felt the distance between us to be far greater than when he had known me only as the village schoolmistress.
我觉得我们间的距离,远比当初我不过是乡村女教师时大得多。
When I remembered how far I had once been admitted to his confidence, I could hardly comprehend his present frigidity.
当我记起我曾深得他的信任时,我很难理解他现在的冷淡态度。
Such being the case, I felt not a little surprised when he raised his head suddenly from the desk over which he was stooping, and said: --
在这种情况下,他突然从趴着的书桌上抬起头来说话时,我不免有些惊讶了。
"You see, Jane, the battle is fought and the victory won."
“你瞧,简,仗己经打过了,而且获得了胜利。”
Startled at being thus addressed, I did not immediately reply: after a moment's hesitation I answered: --
我被这样的说话方式吓了一跳,没有立即回答。但犹豫了一阵子后,说道:
"But are you sure you are not in the position of those conquerors whose triumphs have cost them too dear?
“可是你确信自己不是那种为胜利付出了重大代价的征服者吗?
Would not such another ruin you?"
如果再来一仗岂不会把你毁掉?”
"I think not; and if I were, it does not much signify;
“我想不会。要是会,也并没有多大关系。
I shall never be called upon to contend for such another.
我永远也不会应召去参加另一次这样的争斗了。
The event of the conflict is decisive: my way is now clear;
争斗的结局是决定性的,现在我的道路已经扫清,
I thank God for it!"
我为此而感谢上帝!
So saying, he returned to his papers and his silence.
”说完,他回到了自己的文件和沉默中去了。