"It remains for me, then," he said,
那么,”他说,
"to remember you in my prayers, and to entreat God for you, in all earnestness, that you may not indeed become a castaway.
“就让我在祷告中记住你,真诚地祈求上帝不让你真的成为弃儿。
I had thought I recognised in you one of the chosen.
我想我已认为你是主的选民了。
But God sees not as man sees: His will be done."
不过上帝的眼光跟人的不一样,他的才真正起作用。”
He opened the gate, passed through it, and strayed away down the glen.
他打开了栅门,走了出去,溜达着行下峡谷,
He was soon out of sight.
很快就不见了。
On re-entering the parlour, I found Diana standing at the window, looking very thoughtful.
我再次进入客厅的时候,发觉黛安娜伫立窗边,看上去若有所思,
Diana was a great deal taller than I:
她个子比我高得多。
she put her hand on my shoulder, and, stooping, examined my face.
她把手搭在我肩上,俯身端详起我的脸来。
"Jane," she said, "you are always agitated and pale now.
“简,”她说,“现在你总是脸色苍白,焦躁不安。
I am sure there is something the matter.
肯定是出了什么事了。
Tell me what business St. John and you have on hands.
告诉我,圣·约翰同你在闹什么别扭。
I have watched you this half hour from the window;
我从这扇窗看了半个小时了。
you must forgive my being such a spy, but for a long time I have fancied I hardly know what.
你得原谅我那么暗中监视你,但过了好久我还不知道自己是怎么回事。
St. John is a strange being" ----
圣·约翰是个怪人——
She paused -- I did not speak: soon she resumed: --
”她顿了一下一一我没有吱声、她立刻接着说——:
"That brother of mine cherishes peculiar views of some sort respecting you, I am sure:
“我这位哥哥对你的看法非同一般,我敢肯定。
he has long distinguished you by a notice and interest he never showed to any one else -- to what end?
他早就对你特别注意和关心了,对别人可从来没有这样——什么目的呢?
I wish he loved you -- does he, Jane?"
但愿他爱上了你——他爱你吗,简?”
I put her cool hand to my hot forehead; "No, Die, not one whit."
我把她冷冰冰的手放在我发烫的额头上:“不,黛,没有那回事儿。”
"Then why does he follow you so with his eyes, and get you so frequently alone with him, and keep you so continually at his side?
“那他干嘛眼睛老盯着你——老是要你同他单独在一起,而且一直把你留在他身边?
Mary and I had both concluded he wished you to marry him."
玛丽和我都断定他希望你嫁给他。”