"I must indeed," I said;
“说真的我得这样,”我说,
"for when just now I repeated the offer of serving him for a deacon, he expressed himself shocked at my want of decency.
“因为刚才我再次提出愿意做他的副牧师时,他对我的不恭表示惊奇。
He seemed to think I had committed an impropriety in proposing to accompany him unmarried:
他好像认为提议不结婚陪他去是有失体统,
as if I had not from the first hoped to find in him a brother, and habitually regarded him as such."
仿佛我一开始就不希望把他当成兄长,而且一直这么看他似的。”
"What makes you say he does not love you, Jane?"
“你怎么会说他不爱你呢,简?”
"You should hear himself on the subject.
“你应该听听他自己谈谈对这个问题的看法。
He has again and again explained that it is not himself, but his office he wishes to mate.
他口口声声解释说他要结婚,不是为了他自己,而是为了他的圣职。
He has told me I am formed for labour -- not for love: which is true, no doubt.
他还告诉我,我生来就是为了劳作,而不是为了爱情。无疑这话也有道理。
But, in my opinion, if I am not formed for love, it follows that I am not formed for marriage.
但在我看来,如果我生来不是为了爱情,那么随之而来,也生来不是为了婚配。
Would it not be strange, Die, to be chained for life to a man who regarded one but as a useful tool?"
这岂不是咄咄怪事,黛,一生跟一个男人拴在一起,而他只把我当作一样有用的工具?”
"Insupportable -- unnatural -- out of the question!"
“不能容忍——不通人情——办不到的!”
"And then," I continued,
“还有,”我继续说,
"though I have only sisterly affection for him now, yet, if forced to be his wife,
“虽然我现在对他有兄妹之情,但要是我被迫做了他妻子,
I can imagine the possibility of conceiving an inevitable, strange, torturing kind of love for him, because he is so talented;
我能想象,我对他的爱很可能会无可奈何,奇怪反常,备受折磨。
and there is often a certain heroic grandeur in his look, manner, and conversation.
因为他那么有才能,神态、举动和谈吐无不诱出一种英雄气概。
In that case, my lot would become unspeakably wretched.
那样,我的命运就会悲惨得难以形容。
He would not want me to love him;
他会不要我爱他,
and if I showed the feeling, he would make me sensible that it was a superfluity, unrequired by him, unbecoming in me.
要是我依然有所表露,他会让我感到,那是多余的,他既不需要,对我也不合适。
I know he would."
我知道他会这样。”