"I am coming!" I cried.
“我来了!”我叫道。
"Wait for me! Oh, I will come!"
“等我一下!呵,我会来的!”
I flew to the door and looked into the passage: it was dark.
我飞也似地走到门边,向走廊里窥视着,那时一灯漆黑,
I ran out into the garden: it was void.
我冲进花园,里边空空如也。
"Where are you?" I exclaimed.
“你在哪儿?”我喊道。
The hills beyond Marsh Glen sent the answer faintly back --
沼泽谷另一边的山峦隐隐约约地把回答传了过来——
"Where are you?" I listened.
“你在哪儿?”我倾听着。
The wind sighed low in the firs: all was moorland loneliness and midnight hush.
风在冷杉中低吟着,一切只有荒原的孤独和午夜的沉寂。
"Down superstition!" I commented, as that spectre rose up black by the black yew at the gate.
“去你的迷信!”那幽灵黑魈魈地在门外紫杉木旁边出现时我说道。
"This is not thy deception, nor thy witchcraft: it is the work of nature.
“这不是你的骗局,也不是你的巫术,而是大自然的功劳。
She was roused, and did -- no miracle -- but her best."
她苏醒了,虽然没有创造奇迹,却尽了最大的努力。”
I broke from St. John, who had followed, and would have detained me.
我挣脱了跟着我并想留住我的圣·约翰。
It was my time to assume ascendency.
该轮到我处于支配地位了。
My powers were in play and in force.
我的力量在起作用,在发挥威力了。
I told him to forbear question or remark; I desired him to leave me: I must and would be alone.
我告诉他不要再提问题,或是再发议论了。我希望他离开我。我必须而且也宁愿一个人呆着。
He obeyed at once.
他立刻听从了。
Where there is energy to command well enough, obedience never fails.
只要有魄力下命令,别人总是听话的。
I mounted to my chamber; locked myself in; fell on my knees;
我上楼回卧室,把自己锁在房里,跪了下来,
and prayed in my way -- a different way to St. John's, but effective in its own fashion.
以我的方式祈祷着——不同于圣·约翰的方式,他自有其效果,
I seemed to penetrate very near a Mighty Spirit; and my soul rushed out in gratitude at His feet.
我似乎已进入了一颗伟大的心灵,我的灵魂感激地冲出去来到他脚边。
I rose from the thanksgiving -- took a resolve -- and lay down, unscared, enlightened -- eager but for the daylight.
我从感恩中站起来——下了决心——随后躺了下来,并不觉得害怕,却受到了启发——急切地盼着白昼的来临。