CHAPTER XXXVI
第三十六章
THE daylight came. I rose at dawn.
白昼来临,拂晓时我便起身了。
I busied myself for an hour or two with arranging my things in my chamber, drawers, and wardrobe,
我忙了一两个小时,把房间、抽屉和衣橱里的东西作了安排。
in the order wherein I should wish to leave them during a brief absence.
根据短期外出的需要,
Meantime, I heard St. John quit his room.
与此同时,我听到圣·约翰离开了房间,
He stopped at my door: I feared he would knock -- no, but a slip of paper was passed under the door.
在我房门外停了一下,我担心他会敲门——不,他没有敲,却从门底下塞进来一个纸条,
I took it up. It bore these words --
我拿起来一看,只见上面写着:
"You left me too suddenly last night.
“咋晚你离开我太突然了。
Had you stayed but a little longer, you would have laid your hand on the Christian's cross and the angel's crown.
要是你再呆一会儿,你就会把手放在基督的十字架和天使的皇冠上了。
I shall expect your clear decision when I return this day fortnight.
二周后的今天我回来时盼你已作出明确的决定。
Meantime, watch and pray that you enter not into temptation: the spirit, I trust, is willing, but the flesh, I see, is weak.
同时,你要留心并祈祷,愿自己不受诱惑。我相信,灵是愿意的;但我也看到,肉是软弱的。
I shall pray for you hourly. -- Yours, ST. JOHN."
我会时时为你祈祷——你的,圣·约翰。”
"My spirit," I answered mentally,
“我的灵,”我心里回答,
"is willing to do what is right; and my flesh, I hope, is strong enough to accomplish the will of Heaven,
“乐意做一切对的事情,我希望我的肉也很坚强,一旦明确上帝的意志、便有力量去实现它。
when once that will is distinctly known to me.
让我可以去探求——询问——
At any rate, it shall be strong enough to search -- inquire --
无论如何,我的肉体是够坚强的,摸索出路,
to grope an outlet from this cloud of doubt, and find the open day of certainty."
驱散疑云,找到确然无疑的晴空。”
It was the first of June; yet the morning was overcast and chilly: rain beat fast on my casement.
这是六月一日。早晨,满天阴云,凉气袭人,骤雨敲窗。
I heard the front-door open, and St. John pass out.
我听见前门开了,圣·约翰走了出去。
Looking through the window, I saw him traverse the garden.
透过窗子,我看到他走过花园,
He took the way over the misty moors in the direction of Whitcross -- there he would meet the coach.
踏上雾蒙蒙的荒原,朝惠特克劳斯方向走去,——那儿他将搭上马车。