Gemma was busy with her towel. "Thanks, Luke," she said.
杰玛忙着用毛巾擦汗。“谢谢你,卢克。”她说。
Luke could not take his eyes away from Gemma. "You're a runner," he said. "I never knew that."
卢克无法把目光从杰玛身上移开。“你是个跑步运动员。”他说,“我从来不知道呢。”
"You never asked me," said Gemma. She smiled at Luke, a long slow warm smile.
“你从来没问过我。”杰玛说。她对卢克慢慢展开一个悠长而温暖的微笑。
Luke looked down into her blue eyes. He looked for a long time.
卢克低头看着她蓝色的眼睛。他久久凝望着。
A new and wonderful idea came into his head. "Wow," he said again. "I never saw your eyes before - they're... beautiful."
他的脑海里出现了一个全新且很棒的念头。“哇,”他又说,“我从没看过你的眼睛——你的眼睛真美。”
Gemma laughed. "I wear glasses at work," she said. "That's why."
杰玛笑了。“我工作的时候戴眼镜。”她说,“所以你没见过。”
Luke Suddenly remembered. "Hey, you're tired, you just ran a race. Let's sit down."
卢克突然想起了什么。“嘿,你累了。你刚刚跑完比赛。我们坐下吧。”
They sat down on a low wall together. Around them, other people talked about the race, but Luke and Gemma did not hear them or see them.
他们一起在一堵矮墙上坐下。在他们周围,其他人在谈论这场比赛,不过卢克和杰玛对旁人不闻不见。
They sat quietly and Gemma drank some water.
他们静静地坐着。杰玛喝了些水。
Luke wanted to say a lot of things, but he could not find the right words. Then he opened his mouth - and all the right words came out.
卢克有千言万语,却找不到合适的词。然后他张开嘴一一该说的话都说出了口。
"Gemma, have you got a bike?" he asked.
“杰玛,你有自行车吗?”他问。
"Yes," she said. "Last year I went to Utrecht for a week in the summer, and I went everywhere by bike."
“有啊。”她说,“去年夏天,我去乌得勒支住了一个星期,我去哪儿都骑车。”
"Do you like swimming?"
“你喜欢游泳吗?”
"Yes, and I love swimming in the sea - it's the best."
“喜欢,而且我喜欢在海里游泳一一那是最棒的。”
"And you like Black Phoenix, and the Tree Rats."
“而且你喜欢黑凤凰乐队和棘鼠乐队。”
"And Darkwater," said Gemma. "They're like the Tree Rats, but better."
“还有暗水乐队。”杰玛说,“他们和棘鼠风格相近,不过要更胜一筹。”
"Darkwater?" said Luke. "I like them, they're really great. Hey, they're at the Mountain Club tonight. Would you like to... I mean... Do you... You don"t want to come with me, perhaps?"
“暗水乐队?”卢克说,“我喜欢他们,他们真的很棒。嘿,他们今晚在大山倶乐部演出。你想不想......我的意思是......你......也许你不想和我一起去吧?”
Gemma laughed, a long happy laugh. "Of course, I want to!" she said. "What time shall we go?"
杰玛笑了,开心地笑了很久。“我当然想了!”她说,“我们什么时候去?”
Two things, Luke thought. You only need two things. The right questions - and the right answers. Then it's easy.
两个东西,卢克想。你只需要两个东西。正确的问题和正确的答案。然后就水到渠成了。