She started as if she had seen a ghost: I calmed her.
她吓了一大跳,仿佛见了一个鬼似的。我让她镇静了下来。
To her hurried "Is it really you, miss, come at this late hour to this lonely place?"
她急忙问道:“当真是你吗,小姐,这么晚了还到这么偏僻的地方来?”
I answered by taking her hand; and then I followed her into the kitchen, where John now sat by a good fire.
我握着她的手回答了她。随后跟着她走进了厨房,这会儿约翰正坐在熊熊的炉火边。
I explained to them, in few words, that I had heard all which had happened since I left Thornfield, and that I was come to see Mr. Rochester.
我三言二语向他们作了解释,告诉他们,我离开桑菲尔德后所发生的一切我都已经听说了。这回是来看望罗切斯特先生的。
I asked John to go down to the turn-pike-house, where I had dismissed the chaise, and bring my trunk, which I had left there:
还请约翰到我打发了马车的大路上去一趟,把留在那儿的箱子去取回来。
and then, while I removed my bonnet and shawl,
随后我一面脱去帽子和披肩,
I questioned Mary as to whether I could be accommodated at the Manor House for the night;
一面问玛丽能不能在庄园里过夜。
and finding that arrangements to that effect, though difficult, would not be impossible, I informed her I should stay.
后来我知道虽然不容易安排,但还能办到,便告诉她我打算留宿。
Just at this moment the parlour-bell rang.
正在这时客厅的门铃响了。
"When you go in," said I,
“你进去的时候,”我说,
"tell your master that a person wishes to speak to him, but do not give my name."
“告诉你主人,有人想同他谈谈。不过别提我的名字。”
"I don't think he will see you," she answered; "he refuses everybody."
“我想他不会见你,”她回答,“他谁都拒绝。”
When she returned, I inquired what he had said.
她回来时,我问他说了什么。
"You are to send in your name and your business," she replied.
“你得通报姓名,说明来意,”她回答。
She then proceeded to fill a glass with water, and place it on a tray, together with candles.
接着去倒了一杯水,拿了几根蜡烛,都放进托盘。