"Down, Pilot!" I again said.
“躺下,派洛特!”我又说。
He checked the water on its way to his lips, and seemed to listen: he drank, and put the glass down.
他没有把水端到嘴边就停了下来,似乎在细听。他喝了水,放下杯子。
"This is you, Mary, is it not?"
“是你吗,玛丽?是不是?”
"Mary is in the kitchen," I answered.
“玛丽在厨房里,”我回答。
He put out his hand with a quick gesture, but not seeing where I stood, he did not touch me.
他伸出手,很快挥动了一下,可是看不见我站在那儿,没有碰到我。
"Who is this? Who is this?"
“谁呀?谁呀?”
he demanded,trying, as it seemed, to SEE with those sightless eyes -- unavailing and distressing attempt!
他问,似乎要用那双失明的眼睛来看——无效而痛苦的尝试!
"Answer me -- speak again!" he ordered, imperiously and aloud.
“回答我——再说一遍!”他命令,威严而大声。
"Will you have a little more water, sir?
“你再要喝一点吗,先生?
I spilt half of what was in the glass," I said.
杯子里的水让我泼掉了一半,”我说。
"Who is it? What is it? Who speaks?"
“谁?什么?谁在说话?”
"Pilot knows me, and John and Mary know I am here.
“派洛特认得我,约翰和玛丽知道我在这里,
I came only this evening," I answered.
我今天晚上才来,”我回答。
"Great God! -- what delusion has come over me?
“天哪!什么幻觉笼罩着我?
What sweet madness has seized me?"
是什么样的疯狂抓住了我?”
"No delusion -- no madness: your mind, sir, is too strong for delusion, your health too sound for frenzy."
“不是痴心梦想——不是疯狂。先生,你的头脑非常健康,不会陷入痴心梦想;你的身体十分强壮,不会发狂。”
"And where is the speaker? Is it only a voice?
“这位说话人在哪儿?难道只是个声音?
Oh! I cannot see, but I must feel, or my heart will stop and my brain burst.
呵!我看不见,不过我得摸一摸,不然我的心会停止跳动,我的脑袋要炸裂了。
Whatever -- whoever you are -- be perceptible to the touch or I cannot live!"
不管是什么——不管你是谁——要让我摸得着,不然我活不下去了!”