"Excellent! We shall then look thoroughly into the affair.
"好极了!那么我们就来彻底调查这件事。
Of course there is only one feasible explanation.
当然,只有一个说得通的解释,
You have been brought there to personate someone, and the real person is imprisoned in this chamber. That is obvious.
你是被请到那里去冒充某个人,而那个人实际上被囚禁在那间屋子里,这是一清二楚的。
As to who this prisoner is, I have no doubt that it is the daughter, Miss Alice Rucastle,
至于这个被囚禁的人是谁,我可以断定就是那个女儿艾丽丝·鲁卡斯尔小姐,
if I remember right, who was said to have gone to America.
如果我没记错的话,她是被说成已经到美国去了。
You were chosen, doubtless, as resembling her in height, figure, and the colour of your hair.
毫无疑问,你所以被选中是因为你的高度、身材和你的头发的色泽和她的一样。
Hers had been cut off, very possibly in some illness through which she has passed, and so, of course, yours had to be sacrificed also.
好的头发被剪掉很可能是因为她曾经患过什么病,因而,自然也必须要你牺牲你的头发。
By a curious chance you came upon her tresses.
你瞧见那绺头发完全是碰巧。
The man in the road was undoubtedly some friend of hers -- possibly her fiance
那个在公路上的男人无疑是她的什么朋友,很可能是她的未婚夫。
and no doubt, as you wore the girl's dress and were so like her,
而且无疑,正因为你穿着那个姑娘的衣服,而且又那么像她,
he was convinced from your laughter, whenever he saw you, and afterwards from your gesture,
所以每当他看见你的时候,他从你的笑容中,以后又从你的姿势中,
that Miss Rucastle was perfectly happy, and that she no longer desired his attentions.
相信鲁卡斯尔小姐确实很快乐,并认为她不再需要他的关怀了。
The dog is let loose at night to prevent him from endeavouring to communicate with her. So much is fairly clear.
那只狗晚上放出来是为了防止他设法和她接触。所有这些都是相当清楚的,
The most serious point in the case is the disposition of the child."
这桩案件最严重的一点就是那孩子的性情。"
"What on earth has that to do with it?" I ejaculated.
"这和孩子又有什么关系?"我突然叫了出来。
"My dear Watson, you as a medical man are continually gaining light as to the tendencies of a child by the study of the parents.
"我亲爱的华生,你作为一个医生要逐渐地了解一个孩子的癖性,就要从研究他的父母亲开始。
Don't you see that the converse is equally valid.
你没想到反过来也是同样的道理吗?
I have frequently gained my first real insight into the character of parents by studying their children.
我时常从研究孩子入手来取得对其父母品格基本的真正的深入了解。
This child's disposition is abnormally cruel, merely for cruelty's sake,
这孩子的性格异常残忍,而且是为残忍而残忍,
and whether he derives this from his smiling father, as I should suspect, or from his mother,
不管这种性格是像我所猜疑的那样来源于他的笑眯眯的父亲,还是来源于他的母亲,
it bodes evil for the poor girl who is in their power."
这对在他们掌握之中的那个可怜的姑娘注定是不妙的。"
"I am sure that you are right, Mr. Holmes," cried our client.
"我确实相信你是对的,福尔摩斯先生,"我们的委托人大声说。
"A thousand things come back to me which make me certain that you have hit it.
"无数的事回想起来使我非常确定你说得十分中肯。
Oh, let us lose not an instant in bringing help to this poor creature."
让我们一刻也不要耽搁,赶快去营救那可怜的人吧!"
"We must be circumspect, for we are dealing with a very cunning man. We can do nothing until seven o'clock.
"我们必须小心谨慎,因为我们是在对付一个很狡猾的人。我们在七点钟以前办不了什么事。
At that hour we shall be with you, and it will not be long before we solve the mystery."
一到七点我们就会和你在一起,不用很久我们就能解开这个谜了。"