When I was a child, at the edge of the galaxy...
当我还是个孩子的时候,在银河系的边缘...
I heard stories about a man who could forecast the future.
我听过一个能预测未来的人的故事。
But the story remained dark to me until many years later.
但这个故事对我来说一直是模糊的,直到许多年以后。
Until it became my story.
直到它成为了我的故事。
Until it became the only story.
直到它成为了唯一的故事。
You're familiar with my work, psychohistory?
你熟悉我的研究吗,心理史?
Every mathematician has read your theory.
每个数学家都读过你的理论。
It's not a theory. It's the future of mankind expressed in numbers.
这不是一个理论。而是用数字表达的人类的未来。
And the empire won't like the future I predict.
帝国不会喜欢我预测的未来。
History is littered with charlatans and false messiahs.
历史上充斥着江湖骗子和假救世主。
We should kill them.
我们应该杀了他们。
We can murder the man, but what about the movement, brother?
我们可以杀了他,但那运动怎么办,兄弟?
Martyrs tend to have a long half-life.
殉道者的半生往往很长。
His math was right. The empire is dying.
他的计算是正确的。帝国正在消亡。
Wars will be endless.
战争将永无止境。
A thousand worlds reduced to cinders.
上千个世界生灵涂炭。
Change is frightening. Especially to those in power.
改变是很可怕的。尤其是对当权者来说。
But we can soften the fall.
但我们可以减缓这种衰落。
So what's the plan?
计划是什么?
Many years from now, if humanity is to climb from the ashes,
很多年以后,如果人类要从废墟中爬出来,
the coming generations will need the knowledge to build upon, a foundation.
那么未来的几代人都要知识作为基础。
We must preserve only the most essential pieces of civilization.
我们必须保存文明中最重要的部分。
Deciding what is remembered, what is forgotten.
决定什么应被记住,什么应被遗忘。
We are now staring down the barrel... of a crisis.
我们现在正面临一场危机。
This is the plan.
这就是计划。
We're not turning around now.
我们现在无法回头了。