If you like: bigger material differences between us increase the social distances and those feelings of superiority and inferiority, and that makes a big difference to social relationships within society.
如果你愿意的话:我们之间更大的物质差异会增加社会距离以及那些优越感和自卑感,这会对社会内部的社会关系产生很大的影响。
Status and class become more important.
地位和阶级变得更加重要。
We're less likely to marry people with a different class background.
我们不太可能与不同阶级背景的人结婚。
Community life, as I've said, drops away, and violence also goes up, because violence is triggered by people feeling looked down on, loss of face, disrespected, humiliated.
正如我已经说过的,社区生活减少了,暴力也增加了,因为暴力是由人们感觉被看不起、丢面子、不受尊重、被羞辱等引发的。
Those are the triggers of violence.
这些都是暴力的导火索。
And of course, for people who are more sensitive to status issues, violence is triggered more often.
当然,对于那些对地位问题更敏感的人来说,暴力事件会更容易被触发。
Consumerism also goes up, because we're all trying to enhance our self-presentation.
消费主义逐渐盛行,因为我们都在努力增强自我展示。
All sorts of measures of social interaction show the whole social structure becoming more ossified with inequality.
各种社会互动的衡量标准表明,整个社会结构因不平等而变得更加僵化。
Social mobility goes down, and with that, we're even further away from the equal opportunities which we claim to be trying to provide for children.
随着社会流动性下降,我们离我们声称要为儿童提供的平等机会越来越远。
So inequality isn't just about unfairness or poverty.
因此,不平等不仅仅是不公平或贫穷的问题。
It puts us in social relationships, relationships of superiority and inferiority.
它把我们置于一种社会关系中,一种优越与自卑的关系中。
It ranks us from better to worse.
它把我们从好到坏进行了排列。
It's a really invidious process, and it creates those feelings of inferiority at the bottom.
这是一个非常令人反感的过程,它在底层制造了自卑感。
It makes us judge each other more by social status, and with that, we become more worried about how we are seen and judged by others.
它使我们更多地根据社会地位来判断彼此,因此,我们更加担心别人如何看待和评价我们。
There are two common responses to feeling so worried about how we're seen and judged.
对于我们如何被看待和评价感到如此担忧,有两种常见的反应。
One is that you almost accept your inferiority, low self-esteem, lack of confidence.
一是你几乎接受了自己的低等、自卑、缺乏自信。
You withdraw from social life because you find it all too difficult, and you become more vulnerable to depression.
你退出社交生活是因为你发现一切都太难了,你变得更容易抑郁。
And indeed, rates of depression are higher in more unequal societies.
事实上,在更不平等的社会中,抑郁症的发病率更高。
The other common response is almost exactly the opposite.
另一种常见的反应几乎恰恰相反。
If you're worried about what people think of you, you talk yourself up.
如果你担心别人怎么看你,你就开始自吹自擂。
You big yourself up.
你开始吹嘘自己。
You flaunt your abilities and achievements.
你炫耀你的能力和成就。
You become narcissistic instead of modest.
你变得自恋而不谦虚。
We see that, too, in more unequal societies.
我们在更不平等的社会中也看到了这一点。
This next graph is from a study of what psychologists call self-enhancement.
下一张图表来自一项心理学家称之为自我提升的研究。
People in different countries are asked how they think they compare to the average on different characteristics.
不同国家的人被问及他们认为自己在不同特征上与平均水平相比如何。
And what it shows is, in more unequal societies, people big themselves up, They think they're better at things; they present themselves in an exaggerated way.
图表显示,在更加不平等的社会里,人们自以为是,他们认为自己在事情上做得更好;他们以一种夸张的方式展示自己。
They become narcissistic.
他们会变得自恋。
It's like everyone thinking they're better drivers than average.
这就像每个人都认为自己是比平均水平更好的司机一样。
That tendency is greater in more unequal societies.
这种趋势在更不平等的社会中更为明显。
Mental illness is also worse in more unequal countries, because mental illness is often triggered or exacerbated by issues to do with dominance and subordination, superiority and inferiority.
精神疾病在更不平等的国家也更严重,因为精神疾病往往是由支配地位和从属地位、优越感和自卑感等问题引发或加剧的。
There was a recent study of the 36 OECD countries showing a tight correlation between levels of inequality in those societies and the 10 most common mental disorders.
最近对经合组织36个国家进行的一项研究显示,这些国家的不平等程度与10种最常见的精神疾病密切相关。
I think the saddest part of this is that studies of happiness and well-being, studies of health, too, show that one of the most important determinants is the quality of our social relationships, our social environment, our friendships.
我认为最可悲的是,对幸福和健康的研究,都表明最重要的决定因素之一是我们社会关系、社会环境和友谊的质量。
And that is where inequality does its greatest damage.
这就是不平等造成最大损害的地方。
To address this heavy burden of depression, anxiety, mental illness, self-harm, what we have to do is reduce the levels of inequality in society that divide us from each other.
为了应对抑郁、焦虑、精神疾病和自我伤害等沉重负担,我们必须做的是减少社会中将我们彼此分离的不平等程度。
Inequality is, in a sense, the enemy between us.
从某种意义上说,不平等是我们之间的敌人。