Look at these images of five common and popular scents.
看看这五种常见、受大众喜爱的气味的图片。
Cinnamon, orange, pine tree, peppermint and lime.
肉桂,橘子,松树,薄荷和酸橙。
Now we're going to take them away and lay them face down in the original order.
现在我们把它们拿开,面朝下按原来的顺序放好。
Can you remember from just a few seconds ago what the original order was?
你还记得几秒钟前的顺序吗?
Did you get it right?
你记得对吗?
Were you able to recall cinnamon, orange, pine tree, peppermint, then lime?
你能回忆起肉桂,橘子,松树,薄荷,然后是酸橙这个顺序吗?
Did you even start to smell the scent of the images we showed you?
你甚至开始闻到我们给你展示的图片的味道了?
This is because, unlike touch, sight and hearing, your sense of smell has some unique abilities.
这是因为,与触觉、视觉和听觉不同,你的嗅觉有一些独特的能力。
Your nose's olfactory bulb is actually part of the limbic system, with intimate access to your hippocampus and amygdala, the parts of your brain most linked to memory and emotion.
你鼻子的嗅球实际上是边缘系统的一部分,与你的海马体和杏仁核有着密切的联系,而海马体和杏仁核是你大脑中与记忆和情感联系最紧密的部分。
You might say the memory of those scents took you on a kind of time travel, recalling a whiff of cinnamon or fresh pine experienced long ago.
你可能会说,对这些气味的记忆带你进行了一种时间旅行,回想起很久以前闻到的肉桂或新鲜松树的味道。
And helping you remember the order of the cards we showed you.
这有助于你记住我们给你看的牌的顺序。