手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 英国文化委员会迷你英语课 > 正文

限定性和非限定性定语从句的区别

编辑:Sara   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Mini English Lessons

迷你英语课

Ah, relative clauses. We all know them, we all hate them,

啊,关系从句(即定语从句),我们都知道这种从句,我们都讨厌这种从句。

especially as they're divided into defining and non-defining.

特别是定语从句有限定性和非限定性这两类。

But today, I'm gonna show you easy ways to tell them apart.

但今天,我将告诉你们区分这两种从句的简单办法。

So let's start with what a relative clause is.

首先看什么是定语从句。

A relative clause is a secondary sentence linked to a main sentence.

定语从句就是与主句相连的从句。

That means that we cannot find it alone without a main sentence.

也就是从句不能脱离主句独立存在。

We use it to give extra information about who or what we're talking about in the main sentence.

我们用从句来提供关于主句所描述的人或事的额外信息。

Now what is a defining relative clause?

那么什么是限定性定语从句?

So, basically, it's a relative clause that is absolutely necessary for the main sentence to make sense.

简单说,必须要有限定性定语从句,主句的意思才说得通。

Let me give you an example.

给大家一个例子。

These are the people who bought the house.

这些就是买了房子的人。

Now if I remove 'who bought the house', I'm left with 'these are the people'.

如果去掉“买了房子的”,就只剩“这些是人”。

People who? We have seven billion people in the world!

什么人?世界上有70亿人!

So 'who bought the house' is a defining relative clause.

所以“买了房子的”就是一个限定性定语从句。

Another example: This is the man who she met at the party.

另一个例子:这就是她在派对上遇到的男人。

If I take away 'who she met at the party', I'm left with 'this is the man'.

如果去掉“她在派对上遇到的”,那么就只剩“这就是男人”。

Well, man who? We have men everywhere.

什么男人?到处都有男人。

'Who she met at the party' is absolutely necessary and is a defining relative clause.

“她在派对上遇到的”肯定是必须要有的,所以是限定性定语从句。

Now let's go to the non-defining relative clauses.

接下来看非限定性定语从句。

These are not so necessary. Very interesting, but kind of like gossip.

这种从句不是必须要有的,很有意思,有点像是某种八卦。

We don't absolutely need them for the main sentence to make sense.

不是必须要有这种从句,主句的意思才说得通。

I'm gonna give you an example.

我给大家举个例子。

The celebrity, who has ten children, came to my house.

那个明星来到我家,她有十个孩子。

'Who has ten children', if we take it away, does the rest of the sentence make sense?

如果去掉“她有十个孩子”,剩下的句子还说得通吗?

Yes. The celebrity came to my house.

说得通,那个明星来到我家。

Therefore, 'who has ten children', nice piece of information, but a non-defining relative clause.

因此“她有十个孩子”提供了有趣的信息,但是非限定性定语从句。

And finally, our last example: His brother, who works at the supermarket, is a friend of mine.

最后一个例子:他哥哥是我的朋友,他在超市工作。

So when I take away, 'who works at the supermarket', does the rest of the sentence make sense? Of course, it does.

如果去掉“他在超市工作”,剩下的句子还说得通吗?当然说得通。

'His brother is a friend of mine' is a complete sentence.

“他哥哥是我的朋友”是一个完整的句子。

'Who works at the supermarket' is a non-defining relative clause.

“他在超市工作”是非限定性定语从句。

So there you have it. Easy ways to distinguish between defining and non-defining relative clauses,

这样你就学会了区分限定性定语从句和非限定性定语从句的方法,

so we don't need to be afraid of them anymore.

再也不用害怕这两种从句了。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
absolutely ['æbsəlu:tli]

想一想再看

adv. 绝对地,完全地;独立地

 
celebrity [si'lebriti]

想一想再看

n. 名人,名誉,社会名流

联想记忆
remove [ri'mu:v]

想一想再看

v. 消除,除去,脱掉,搬迁
n. 去除

联想记忆
distinguish [dis'tiŋgwiʃ]

想一想再看

vt. 区别,辨认,使显著

联想记忆
gossip ['gɔsip]

想一想再看

n. 流言蜚语,闲话,爱说长道短的人
vi.

 
clause [klɔ:z]

想一想再看

n. 条款,款项,[语]从句,分句

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。