Woman: ... And our studio guest today is Giles Milton, Operations Director at the National Weather Centre. Giles, welcome.
我们今天的演播嘉宾是国家气象中心的运营总监贾尔斯·弥尔顿,贾尔斯,欢迎你。
Man: Thank you.
谢谢。
Woman: Giles, firstly, most people will know the Centre provides weather reports for TV and radio stations, but they're not your only 'customers', are they?
贾尔斯,首先,大多数人都知道国家气象中心为电视和广播电台提供天气预报,但你们的“客户”不止这些,是吗?
Man: Not by any means.
是的。
The Centre started out a hundred and fifty years ago, largely serving the shipping industry, but now it provides a whole range of services.
150年前国家气象中心首次建成,主要为航运业提供服务,如今我们的服务涵盖各个方面。
We've been helping supermarkets for some time to predict when to buy more stocks of ice cream, for example,
一段时间以来,我们一直在帮助超市预测何时买更多的冰淇淋,
when a heat wave's approaching. Our forecasts for administrators of health authorities help them predict when flu outbreaks might occur.
当酷热来袭时,我们帮助卫生当局管理者预测流感爆发的时间。
That's something we've only just got off the ground. And there's also our long-standing industrial advisory service for farmers, fishermen and airlines.
我们刚刚起步,而且我们还为农民、渔民和航空公司提供长期行业咨询服务。
Woman: A real industry, then! Two years ago, the Centre announced its plan to relocate.
那时候这算一个正当行业!两年前,中心宣布了搬迁计划。
What brought about that decision?
为什么搬迁?
Man: Well, our first premises were near London and were leased to us by the government,
我们的第一个选址是在伦敦附近,是政府租给我们的。
and we'd always expected to stay there. But the site offered no scope for desperately needed development,
我们一直希望能留在那里,但那个地方满足不了中心迫切发展的需求,
and we had to do something.
我们必须得想办法啊。
Although we were initially reluctant to borrow money to finance a relocation, there was no other choice.
虽然一开始我们不愿意借钱,但我们别无选择。