Man: I have in the studio with me today Olivia Peyton,
今天我们的演播室里请来了奥利维亚·佩顿,
who set up the Pacific Bar & Grill with her brother Tom in 1994, when she was 30.
1994年,她和她哥哥汤姆开了一家名叫Pacific Bar & Grill的餐厅,那时她30岁。
They now have a restaurant chain with a £20 million turnover.
他们现在开了餐饮连锁店,营业额高达2000万英镑。
Olivia, what gave you the drive to achieve so much at such a young age?
奥利维亚,您如此年轻就有了这样的成就,请问您的动力来自于哪里呢?
Woman: Well, our parents taught us the important lesson that you should never be afraid of failure.
嗯,我们的父母给我们上过重要的一课,那就是永远都不要害怕失败。
But really, it was when we moved to England from Australia when I was a teenager.
但实际上,我的动力来自于我们少年时期从澳大利亚搬到英国的时候。
I felt like an outsider, because of my accent and interests,
我感觉自己是个局外人,因为我的口音和兴趣爱好与他们不同,
so that gave me a strong desire to do better at school than those who'd always lived here.
这让我在学校里特别想比那些一直在这里生活的学生表现得更加出色。
I felt the need to be educated. I was more likely to take chances ...
我需要教育。我要抓住机会……
Man: You didn't study catering at university though, did you?
您在大学时没有学习餐饮的相关知识,对吗?
Woman: No. I'd never thought of that as a career. I studied English Literature.
没有。我没有把这个当做一个行业。我学的是英语文学。
My parents tried to persuade me to take up a career in finance - my best exam results at school were in Maths.
我父母劝我从事金融行业——我上学时考试的最高分来自数学。
So they were disappointed when I did Literature ... but I wanted to be a writer regardless of whether I could write!
所以,我学了文学让他们感到很失望……但我想当个作家,不管我能不能写出来!
I didn't do fantastically well in my degree, though.
但我的专业并没有学得特别好。