Ever lose your ability to taste during a cold, because your nose is stuffed up?
有没有过感冒时鼻子阻塞失去味觉的经历?
That's because the nose is intimately involved with taste.
那是因为鼻子同味觉有着紧密的联系。
When you chew, flavor compounds from the food may enter the back of your mouth.
当你在咀嚼食物时,食物的混合气味会进入嘴的后部。
And when you breathe out, you carry some of those flavor compounds up into your nasal cavity.
当你呼气时,这些混合气味就会进入你的鼻腔。
"As children we basically learn, the first lesson of table manners is to keep the mouth closed while chewing,
“孩提时代,我们所学习的基本餐桌礼仪的第一课便是咀嚼的时候要闭着嘴巴,保
and you also want to breathe smoothly."
持呼吸顺畅。”
Randy, a mechanical engineer at Penn State said,
宾夕法尼亚州立大学的机械工程师兰迪说道,
"I think this is not only because it's polite,
“我认为这样的餐桌礼仪不仅仅是出于礼貌,
but also because you can smell the food much better if you can breathe smoothly."
呼吸顺畅还能让我们更好地闻到食物的香味。”
Smell contributes to taste by this "backdoor".
嗅觉通过“鼻后嗅觉”辅助味觉。
And it turns out our airways are particularly tuned to enhance that effect.
事实证明我们的呼吸道增强了这种效果。
Randy and his colleagues 3D-printed a model of a woman's airway.
兰迪和同事通过3D技术打印出女性呼吸道的模型。
To track airflow, they mixed water with special particles and pumped it through the model, filming the results.
为了追踪气流流向,他们在水中加入特殊粒子并将水从模型中抽出,最后再将结果拍摄下来。
They found that when you breathe in, that inward airflow actually forms a curtain at the back of your mouth,
结果发现,吸气时,向内的气流会在口腔后部
blocking food particles from getting into the lungs, which is a good thing.
形成一道屏障防止食物颗粒吸入肺部,这是件好事。
And when you breathe out, air swirls through that cavity in the back of the mouth,
呼气时,气流会在口腔后部形成漩涡,
sweeping up those particles and delivering them right to the nasal cavity, where you can smell them.
将有气味的食物颗粒一并送入鼻腔,因此你才能闻到食物的香气。
There is a way to destroy this well-tuned system: the effect's mined if you're really huffing and puffing.
还有一种方法可以破坏这样的调节系统:当你呼吸急促时,这样的系统就会被打乱。
Meaning if you're wolfing down your food, gasping for air,
进食时若狼吞虎咽,大喘粗气,
that breathing actually delivers more of those food molecules into your lungs and fewer into the nasal cavity.
那么紊乱的呼吸系统会将更多的食物颗粒送入肺中,只有少量食物才会进入鼻腔。
In other words, your mother was right all along: keep your mouth shut and don't wolf down your food.
换言之,这证明了妈妈的话才是真理:吃饭紧闭嘴巴,切忌狼吞虎咽。
It'll cut the chances of choking, and enhance the taste of the meal.
这样才能减少噎住的风险,让食物变得更美味。
Question 20. How does Randy explain children' first lesson of table manners?
问题20 兰迪如何介绍孩提时期学到的第一课餐桌礼仪?
Question 21. What's the result of Randy's experiment?
问题21 下列哪一项符合兰迪的试验结果?
Question 22. What is the case that one is possible to get choked according to the lecture?
问题22 吃饭时,什么情况下容易被食物噎住?
译文属可可原创,仅供学习和交流使用,未经允许不得转载