Recording two.
录音二
We are very susceptible to the influence of the people around us.
我们很容易受到周围人的影响。
For instance, you may have known somebody who has gone overseas for a year or so and has returned with an accent perhaps.
例如,你可能认识一个人,他出国一年左右,回来的时候也许会带着口音。
We become part of our immediate environment.
我们会成为周围环境的一部分。
None of us are immune to the influences of our own world and let us not kid ourselves that we are untouched by the things and the people in our life.
没有人能免疫周围世界对自己的影响,并且让我们不要自欺欺人地认为我们没有受到生活中的人和事的影响。
Fred goes off to his new job at a factory.
弗雷德到一家工厂去工作。
Fred takes his 10 minute coffee break, but the other workers take a half an hour.
弗雷德只休息10分钟用来喝杯咖啡,而其他员工会休息半小时。
Fred says, what's the matter with you guys? Two weeks later, Fred is taking 20 minute breaks.
弗雷德说,你们怎么回事?两周后,弗雷德休息20分钟。
A month later, Fred takes his half hour.
一个月后,弗雷德也会休息半小时。
Fred is saying, if you can't beat them, join them. Why should I work any harder than the next guy?
弗雷德说,如果你不能改变他们,那就加入他们。我为什么要比别人更加努力呢?
The fascinating thing about being human is that generally we are unaware that there are changes taking place in our mentality.
作为人类的迷人之处就在于,我们通常都没有意识到我们的心态正在发生变化。
It is like returning to the city smog after some weeks in the fresh air.
这就像在新鲜空气中呼吸了几周后又回到了城市的雾霾中。
Only then do we realize that we have become accustomed to the nasty smells.
只有到那时,我们才意识到,我们已经习惯了城市的肮脏气味儿。
Mix with critical people, and we learn to criticize.
和挑剔的人在一起,我们学会了挑剔。
Mixed with happy people, and we learn about happiness.
和快乐的人在一起,我们学会了快乐。
What this means is that we need to decide what we want from life and then choose our company accordingly.
这意味着我们要决定想从生活中得到什么,然后相应地选择我们的同伴。
You may well say that is going to take some effort.
你完全可以说,这需要一些努力。
It may not be comfortable. I may offend some of my present company. Right.
这可能会让你不太舒服。我可能会得罪现在的某些同伴。
But it is your life. Fred may say I'm always broke frequently depressed.
但这是你的生活。弗雷德说我总是破产,经常沮丧。
I'm going nowhere and I never do anything exciting.
我哪儿也不去,也从来不会做兴奋的事。
Then we discover that Fred's best friends are always broke, frequently depressed, going nowhere and wishing that life was more exciting.
然后我们发现弗雷德最好的朋友也总是破产,经常沮丧,哪儿也不去,并且希望生活能更令人兴奋一些。
This is not coincidence, nor is it our business to stand in judgment of Fred.
这并不是个巧合,我们也没有资格去评判弗雷德。
However, if Fred ever wants to improve his quality of life, the first thing he'll need to do is recognize what has been going on all these years.
然而,如果弗雷德想要改善他的生活质量,他需要做的第一件事就是搞清楚这些年都发生了什么。
It's no surprise that doctors as a profession suffer a lot of ill health because they spend their lives around sick people.
职业医生经常会生病,这并不奇怪,因为他们生活在病人周围。
Psychiatrists have a higher incidence of suicide in their profession for related reasons.
由于相关原因,精神病医生这个职业的自杀率更高。
Traditionally, nine out of ten children whose parents' smoke, smoke themselves.
一般来说,父母吸烟的孩子,十有八九自己也吸烟。
Obesity is in part an environmental problem.
肥胖在某种程度上是个环境问题。
Successful people have successful friends. And so the story goes on.
成功的人有成功的朋友。等等等等。
19. What does the speaker say about us as human beings?
19. 关于我们人类,说话者说了什么?
20. What does the speaker say Fred should do first to improve his quality of life?
20.说话者说弗雷德要想提高生活质量,他首先应该做什么?
21.What does the speaker say about psychiatrists?
21.关于精神病学家,说话者说了什么?