On holiday
度假
18 February
2月18日
Dear Connie
亲爱的康妮:
I'm in Shanghai at last. My parents and I flew here last night from Beijing.
我终于到上海了。我和爸爸妈妈昨晚从北京乘航班到这里。
We've had such an exhausting day! After we had eaten a huge breakfast at the hotel, we set out on foot down Nanjing Road, the main road in Shanghai.
这一天真把我们累得够呛!在宾馆吃过一顿丰盛的早餐之后,我们沿着上海的主街道--南京路步行出发了。
The weather was warmer than in Beijing. It was sunny and the sky was clear and blue.
这里的天气比北京要暖和一些。阳光明媚,天空又清又蓝。
We soon came to People's Square, a marvellous recreation area.
不一会儿,我们就到了人民广场--美妙的休闲场所。
We walked around the beautiful fountain. There was a nice atmosphere.
我们绕着漂亮的喷泉散步。这里的氛围很好。
Some elderly people were doing ballroom dancing, and children were flying kites.
一些老年人正在跳交际舞,孩子们正在放风筝。
Teenagers were roller skating, and some men were practising sword fighting.
一些青少年正在滑旱冰,还有些男士正在练习击剑。
After we had watched for a while, we went into Shanghai Museum.
我们参观了一会儿,就去了上海博物馆。
We spent a couple of hours there, looking at the displays.
我们在那里待了几个小时,看了一些展览。
Next we walked on down to the Bund, the old part of the city with lots of European style buildings.
后来我们走到了外滩--上海市的老城区,那里有很多欧式建筑。
A Chinese nickname for the Bund is 'the exhibition of world architecture'.
外滩的一个绰号叫做“万国建筑博览”。
It is a big commercial centre with lots of banks and businesses.
它是一个大商业中心,有很多银行和公司。
We walked along the waterfront and looked up at the Oriental Pearl TV Tower across the Huangpu River.
我们沿着江边走,看到黄浦江对岸的东方明珠电视塔。
I read that the designer's idea came from a line in an old Chinese poem, "It was like large and small pearls dropping on a plate of jade."
据我了解,设计者的想法是源于中国的一句古诗“大珠小珠落玉盘”。
The big financial and trade area of Pudong is behind the tower.
浦东大的金融贸易区域就在电视塔后面。
Dad visited that area fifteen years ago. He was amazed at how much it had changed.
爸爸十五年前参观过那里。他惊叹于这个地方的变化是如此之大。
Then we turned away from the river, walked down some narrow streets, and reached the Chenghuang Miao area.
然后我们转身离开河边,沿着一些窄路走,到了城隍庙。
There are lots of craft shops, with artists doing things like paper cutting.
这里有很多手工店,很多艺术家们做着类似剪纸的技术活。
There is also a lake with a pavilion in the middle.
那里还有一条湖,湖中有个小亭子。
We can go over a zigzag bridge to get to the pavilion and enjoy the nice view around.
我们走过弯弯曲曲的桥,来到亭子,欣赏四周的美景。
After that, we ate a tasty meal in an old restaurant nearby.
那之后,我们在附近一间老店里吃了一顿美食。
Finally, we walked into Yu Garden. It was so beautiful!
最后,我们走进了豫园。真是太漂亮了!
I loved the long dragons all along the tops of the walls.
我喜欢那里的长龙,所有的龙都攀附在墙顶上。
By this time we were so tired that we took a taxi back to our hotel to rest our feet!
这个时候,我们都很累了,所以我们乘坐出租车回宾馆歇歇脚!
I've drawn you a map so you can see where we went today, and I will enclose a few photos.
我已经给你画了一幅地图,这样你就可以知道我们今天去过的地方,我会附几张照片。
Shanghai is great! I wish we could stay longer.
上海太美了!我真希望我们待的时间长点。
Lots of love to everyone
爱你们
Wendy
温迪